Turbo Lag...

This is a discussion on Turbo Lag... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All, I have an '06 WRX and have been experiencing turbo lag issues. I noticed it severly when i was ...

Registered User silverbullet207's Avatar

Turbo Lag...

All,
    I have an '06 WRX and have been experiencing turbo lag issues. I noticed it severly when i was driving into work this morning (about 20 degrees F) throughout all gears. At first i noticed it in 5th cruzing at low RPM's and thought this may be the reason but then noticed it from 2nd and on. Any thoughts as to why this may be happening?? Is it the cold weather?
    Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nah, the cold weather helps it spool faster.

This is a stock car right? Do you have any way to actually measure boost?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Yes the car is completely stock. I did however upgrade the boost gage from the original one the first owner put on the car because the reading was inaccurate (gage reset to about -2 mpi when the car was shut off.)

So let me re-phrase my previous question, the car will accumulate boost just like normal (no stuttering, smooth boost build up) but its as though i am loosing it because it feels like it is never forced into the engine. I see the gage go up and nothing happens then a few seconds later i will feel it kick in. Even then it feels a little rough and wants to keep puttering around.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet207 View Post
    Yes the car is completely stock. I did however upgrade the boost gage from the original one the first owner put on the car because the reading was inaccurate (gage reset to about -2 mpi when the car was shut off.)

So let me re-phrase my previous question, the car will accumulate boost just like normal (no stuttering, smooth boost build up) but its as though i am loosing it because it feels like it is never forced into the engine. I see the gage go up and nothing happens then a few seconds later i will feel it kick in. Even then it feels a little rough and wants to keep puttering around.
    Are you getting any cels? Where is the gauge tapped in?

Are you sure the clutch isn't slipping or something totally unrelated (i.e. do the RPMs shoot up but the car doesn't speed up proportionally)?

Sounds like the clutch to me as well.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

The gauge is tapped into its original location (about 80mm from the BOV).

As far as the clutch slipping... hmmmm thats a good thought i would never have thought about. It really does not seem like it, it simply feels like i have no turbo connected to my car lol but then... poof... i have boost!

Damn... i just saw the post from "benson156" now you guys have me thinking its the clutch. How long does a factory clutch usually last? And just to get this out of the way... where are some good performance suby shops around cincy?? (just in case i need it replaced)

Thanks for the help guys!

That'll depend on your driving haha, do your RPM's and boost go up but it feels like your not getting any power to the road?
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

Found this too, hope it helps some and you get things figured out.

good shops in Cincinnati?? - NASIOC
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

I Support ClubWRX
    It is easy to tell if it is the clutch - floor it in 5th and see if the tach jumps up faster than the speed (or especially if it goes up then settles back down some as it "catches").

Ok great... at least now i have a little information to go off of in my endavor to figure out this situation i am in. Im about to leave work now so i will check these things out and let you guys know more tmw.

On a side note... i am a newer suby owner and am trying to hook up with some cruises and meets... i know this isnt the right place to post this but are there any meets/cruises in the near future??