MAF help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on MAF help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i live in canada and subaru wants 500$ for a new MAF im looking for a aftermarket one if anyone ...

Registered User BrandonPaquette's Avatar

MAF help

i live in canada and subaru wants 500$ for a new MAF im looking for a aftermarket one if anyone can help i cant find one if there is one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why do you need an aftermarket one?

I Support ClubWRX
    What's wrong with the existing MAF? It's a Denso unit in case you really do need one -- but I'm wondering why you might need a replacement. Have you checked around for a used unit?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    By the way... did you take the car with an aftermarket intake fitted to Subaru and ask them to diagnose a problem?

What happens when you fit the correct intake, clean the MAF, and install the existing, cleaned MAF with the harness facing forward (this is the correct orientation)?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, but what's wrong with his old one? And why does it have to be aftermarket?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm thinking nothing's wrong with the old one, or a wiring issue generated when he substituted the correct intake for an Injen. There is little info but I'm adding up what info is available from other threads etc. -- and maybe coming to the wrong conclusion but that's what happens when there's little info.

My theory: Injen fitted, MAF readings off or MAF reinstalled incorrectly or both, Subaru say "look, MAF readings are off" and the story goes from there.

I'm still wondering what the car does with the correct parts installed in the correct manner.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's my theory.

I Support ClubWRX
    So now we wait and see...

ok i did not bring the car to subaru. it all started when my Idle air control solenoid valve stop working (i forget the code, autopart use OBD2 reader) about 400 km after the light when off and idle back to normalbut i still when online and found that it might be a good ideal to clean the valve (and it did) at the same time i cleaned the MAF (with clean the guy at partsoure told me to use) put all back on the car the idle was was normal but the engine light was back on no bigy it just the valve it will go off agian now that is clean.a week later i put the CAI engine ligth was still on. week or two later my rad when so i fix that with a new one and at the same time i got a code reader for xmas so i when to turn the light off two see if it would come back on but i had a new code p0171 (lean on bank 1) i tryed to start the car to get the air out of the cooling system but i would just stall so i start it and gave is some gas to stop it from stall and that work but the idle was rough so i when online and did what i read looked over the hose ect. then i was told to unplug the MAF to see what would happen the car well the car when back to normal idle is good and driving like new so im thinking its the MAF (yes/no)

I Support ClubWRX
    What happens when you put on the correct intake with a known clean MAF, a clean filter, and the car has no vacuum or boost leaks?

i have a vacuum/boost gauge and all is ok there but i over looked the hose and i could not find anything. i donot know if my MAF is good so is there a way i can test it? and if the MAF is good y is the cold air mess it up? and i donot think its the cold air because the engine light was on before the cold air was on and before the rad when the car run normal witht the cold air on? but i could be wrong im no mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPaquette View Post
    i have a vacuum/boost gauge and all is ok there but i over looked the hose and i could not find anything. i donot know if my MAF is good so is there a way i can test it? and if the MAF is good y is the cold air mess it up? and i donot think its the cold air because the engine light was on before the cold air was on and before the rad when the car run normal witht the cold air on? but i could be wrong im no mechanic.
    Next time figure out why you're CEL is on before modding. When you pull the codes it only has the number for the MAF?

The best thing to do now is return the car to stock, then figure out why your CEL is on. Yes, your intake can cause MAF issues because some intakes (Injen) cause the MAF to show the wrong data.

BTW, some more punctuation in your posts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What happens when you put on the correct intake with a known clean MAF, a clean filter, and the car has no vacuum or boost leaks?
    Do this.

i will be putting on the skock air intake tomorrow and see what happen can i use a volt reader to test the MAF tonight?

When using the Volt meter do not poke any holes in the wires.
    Wires in the engine bay are exposed to the elements, and if there are holes in the wires they will be affected.

ok i put the stock intake on and the car did the same had hard time start and the idle was a little rough and rpm are sitting at 500 (they start at 1500 but its -10 here)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast