Indexing Steering Wheel

This is a discussion on Indexing Steering Wheel within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Question -- Has anyone else heard of indexing the steering wheel in order to ensure the steering wheel stays straight ...

Indexing Steering Wheel

Question --

Has anyone else heard of indexing the steering wheel in order to ensure the steering wheel stays straight when the car is being steered straight?

I ask because the wheel in my 09 WRX needed to be slightly ****ed to the left in order to keep her straight. I thought it was an alignment issue even though the car was not drifting left or right when I took my hands off the wheel at speed. Took it to the dealer and they stated that alignment was indeed fine but that they "indexed" the wheel one notch to the right in order to have it remain straight when the car is steered straight.

Whatever they did, I think it cured the problem, I just never heard of this before so I'd thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has. . .

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well there's a 50/50 chance that he was right. as you can imagine the steering wheel has to go on a certain way or else you might have it upside down or ****eyed. its not very common though for a dealer to let it go one tooth off though because there are at least 3 different people checking each car and im sure the lockporter would have noticed.

only other thing is if the rear end is slightly crooked, indexing the steering wheel will fix it from the drivers point of view but from behind it will look like its driving at a slight angle. one way to tell is have someone drive behind you and see if he notices anything off.

ps. i dont know the meaning of short answer lol
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    It can also be done by adjusting the tie rods if its real bad.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the info-- the wheel was only "slightly" off center, though I guess it got through the factory checkpoints like that--again not sure if it was severe enough that a factory tech would notice and or fix. Anyway, looks like it's OK at this point.