1st oil change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1st oil change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Did my first oil change in my 09 today (3500 miles). Put the car on the lift and expected to ...

1st oil change

Did my first oil change in my 09 today (3500 miles). Put the car on the lift and expected to knock it out in 10-15mins like my old car ended up sitting there for 45 mins. The oil filter seemed to be welded in, and the Auot Hobby shop didn't have a filter socket small enough for it. That brings me to my next point WTF... why is the oil filter so small. There was a guy in there with an RS that helped me get the filter off since it was tucked in behind the header and it was hard to get a grip on it. Overall it was pretty basic... it was an oil change.

Went with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234
    Hope you've got your flame suit on ...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Hope you've got your flame suit on ...
    Meh... I read through several threads where people disliked Mobile 1 Syn. I also read through several where people liked it. I used Mobile 1 on my old car for several years and i never had any problems, and i ragged the hell out of that car. I have no reasons to switch to anything else.

I have seen where people blame their oil for some of their engine problems but they lacked any really proof... I think with good timely maintenance Iíll be just fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have seen where people blame their oil for some of their engine problems but they lacked any really proof... I think with good timely maintenance Iíll be just fine.
    After two or three cycles with M1 in your engine, send it out for a UOA just to be sure - Blackstone Labs can do that for you.

Gas Engine

UNYSOC

i ran mobil 1 in my 09 WRX for my first two oil changes. Then read that it is to thin for a turbo car and that it breaks down faster due to circulating through the hot turbo. Then i started letting my subaru dealer put in catrol that they have.

Lots of people complained that their WRX burned oil with mobil. Mine never burned any of it what little time i ran it. Im at 3500 miles right now on the castol that the dealer put and the car hasnt burned any of it either. But then again my engine only has 15000 miles on it too.

I have always ran mobil 1 synthetic in both my honda civic Si's. My 06 was Supercharged and i beat the crap out of that car and mobil 1 synthetic was always fine.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    After two or three cycles with M1 in your engine, send it out for a UOA just to be sure - Blackstone Labs can do that for you.

Gas Engine
    Ya they had a free container offer so i signed up for it and got a bottle in the mail a few weeks ago. I was planning on testing my next oil change.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Did my first oil change in my 09 today (3500 miles). Put the car on the lift and expected to knock it out in 10-15mins like my old car ended up sitting there for 45 mins. The oil filter seemed to be welded in, and the Auot Hobby shop didn't have a filter socket small enough for it. That brings me to my next point WTF... why is the oil filter so small. There was a guy in there with an RS that helped me get the filter off since it was tucked in behind the header and it was hard to get a grip on it. Overall it was pretty basic... it was an oil change.

Excellent choice in oil. Go ahead flame me, you better know how to back your product up better than I do.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    If it isn't good for a turboed car then why does the lancer evolution require mobil 1. Chevrolet corvette requires mobil 1, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes. Factory Subaru oil is mobil, same as goodwrench, Honda/Acura, BMW.

After many many many motor builds/rebuilds over the years I would never use a pennzoil/castroil product. I am not a fan of royal purple or of amsoil. Oh well maybe I'm just different. I've had numerous tests done on any of my fluids on any of my vehicles and none have had an issue. There is a mobil product in everything I own. I use mobil1 in my race bikes as well.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I just changed my oil for the first time a few weeks ago and my filter was a pain to get off as well. I used valvoline synthetic because the place was out of Mobil 1. Honestly I change my oil every 3000-3500 miles and I dont drive that hard, I am not to worried about what kind of oil I use.

I found the splash guard more of a pain than anything. I used a filter wrench smiler to this.

Oil Filter Wrench - China auto special tools,auto tools,hand tools in Hand Tools

I Support ClubWRX
    I was planning on testing my next oil change.
    I'd wait until after your 2nd cycle (send a sample upon starting your 3rd time running M1) before sending an UOA

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Just check your oil much more often than you think necessary regardless of the brand you choose and you will be fine.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I've been running mobil 1 5w-30 for a while now and no problems here
    09 WRX IMPREZA Sedan Premium

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Meh... I read through several threads where people disliked Mobile 1 Syn. I also read through several where people liked it. I used Mobile 1 on my old car for several years and i never had any problems, and i ragged the hell out of that car. I have no reasons to switch to anything else.

I have seen where people blame their oil for some of their engine problems but they lacked any really proof... I think with good timely maintenance I’ll be just fine.
    Actually it is proven. It may not be the blame for all problems it's accused off but there are most definitely cases in which there was a problem with the oil.

Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic (specifically that weight) has proven issues with shearing to 20 weight. This is been shown on analysis after analysis.

I personally don't use synthetics. They are mostly hype.
    Last edited by brfatal; 01-12-2010 at 12:22 AM.

i use Motul in my 08.

i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Actually it is proven. It may not be the blame for all problems it's accused off but there are most definitely cases in which there was a problem with the oil.

Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic (specifically that weight) has proven issues with shearing to 20 weight. This is been shown on analysis after analysis.

I personally don't use synthetics. They are mostly hype.
    can you point us in the direction of said analysis. Never heard such befor.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast