1st oil change - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 1st oil change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; aww... and here i am thinkin synthetic oils are the best for your turbo cars... =[...

aww... and here i am thinkin synthetic oils are the best for your turbo cars... =[
    09 WRX IMPREZA Sedan Premium

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    can you point us in the direction of said analysis. Never heard such befor.

To help you read it:

Last edited by brfatal; 01-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysimpreza View Post
    aww... and here i am thinkin synthetic oils are the best for your turbo cars... =[
    In my opinion they are. Mobil-1 has supposedly since corrected the problem with their additive package(I still don't use it though). The real benefit of synthetic oil is it does not have coking issues like dino oil. They have a much higher temp threshold and don't break down as fast. That being said not all synthetic oils are alike. There is a big difference between a Group III and a Group IV synthetic oil.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic (specifically that weight) has proven issues with shearing to 20 weight. This is been shown on analysis after analysis.
    Except Subaru specifically list a 0W-20 and they even go as far as extending the applicable ambient temperature range permissible to... over 30C. Here's a thread with the manual page shown:
    ??What oil should I use??

In that manual, 5W-30 and 0W-20 are both listed for the same ambient temperature range. They are not listed as appropriate for severe use -- that's the written part, not the diagramme, showing the W40s and W50s etc. Still, according to Subaru, an average user can select a W20. BTW, I am unaware of a 0W-20 that is not synthetic.

Assuming there were oil-related failures when using the previous M1 5W-30,this still leads me to believe it was not the viscosity in and of itself at fault. Maybe the additive package had a problem; Mobil have apparently altered it anyway.

There are other M1 variants known to shear with no issues (I use one of these routinely; their 0W-40 seems to shear down to a W30 or so in midlife and then can "thicken" back up as it ends its useful lifespan in cars that run it over 10k Km according to their manual -- I only run it to 8k Km in my Subaru once in a while and don't know first hand though).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.