Stock UpPipe causing detonation...???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock UpPipe causing detonation...??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok Im hopeing that this isnt what I think it is but here is what happened. First off the car ...

Stock UpPipe causing detonation...???

Ok Im hopeing that this isnt what I think it is but here is what happened.
    First off the car is an 04' WRX Stage II Cobb AP (OTS map) Catless DownPipe, Cobb Short ram intake, MagnaFlow CBE, everything else stock. With this cold weather I am experiencing boost oscilation (bosst surging) and I am hitting boost levels of 19.4psi.
    Driving home yesterday under normal driving conditions the vehicle started to stutter , rough idle, no real acceleration ability and when stopping almost stalled. Let the car sit for about 15 minutes until wife got home to take the kid, went out and drove the car around the block and everything seemed fine. Now this morning everything seems fine, I am still experiencing the boost surges, but now I can hear a small little metal chimeing noise almost like loose bb's in a metal tin coming from the glove compartment area (which I believe would be the same area as my turbo housing) I am thinking my stock catted up pipe has started to break apart causing damage to my turbo. Can anyone help in diagnosing , I know its hard to do over the forums but any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
    Also , if I go have a catless uppipe installed it would probably be noticable if the stocker was breaking loose inside and causing damage to the turbo. Just curious. Thanks for any help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

thats why everyone stresses that the stock UP needs to be replaced. even under stock levels it could possibly break up & grenade into the turbo

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

thats why everyone stresses that the stock UP needs to be replaced. even under stock levels it could possibly break up & grenade into the turbo
    Thanks a lot, well I actually have the upPipe in hand and I am goiing to go have it installed today. Hope any damage done is very minor or I guess it will give me a reason to upgrade the turbo. Thanks again for the help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    The only way to tell if damage has been done to the turbo is to remove the turbine housing to expose the turbine wheel. Also replacing the up-pipe with a catless one is going to make the boost spiking worse.You could try lengthening the wastegate arm by 2 full turns out. This is far from the ideal way of fixing the problem as a custom tune would be the way to do it. Have you tried contacting Cobb yet?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The only way to tell if damage has been done to the turbo is to remove the turbine housing to expose the turbine wheel. Also replacing the up-pipe with a catless one is going to make the boost spiking worse.You could try lengthening the wastegate arm by 2 full turns out. This is far from the ideal way of fixing the problem as a custom tune would be the way to do it. Have you tried contacting Cobb yet?
    I have tried contacting cobb and they couldnt give me a real answer or real fix. They said if I had a MBC I could lower the boost and that would help with boost spike or the boost surge. Doesnt really seem like to good of a real fix to me. How hard is to remove the turbo and check for debris or damage. Is the turbo something that can be removed fairly easy. The place I am having the up pipe installed does not have an opening til thursday next week, this is my daily driver so I need it to get to work and back also for picking up my son from school. Is this something I should worry about like getting stranded or broke down. Thanks for the help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    they have to remove the DP to get the UP out - at that point the turbo is not hard to remove.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    How hard is to remove the turbo and check for debris or damage. Is the turbo something that can be removed fairly easy.
    For a novice it's not difficult but time consuming to pull the turbo,especially the first time. Comes down to mechanical ability and tools. Removing the turbine housing must be done VERY carefully as the housing must be pulled off straight or it will damge the wheel, or worse,bend the turbine shaft when you damage the wheel. It is not easy to get the turbine separated due to rust. I usually will remove the turbine collar band and spray wd40 liberally the turbine housing the night before. Then I use a bearing splitter to separate the housing from the CHRA.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the help and advice, I am really hopeing that this isnt a shot turbo because of the UpPipe grenading into the turbo. But worse case scenario, if I were to upgrade the turbo what is the best choice for upgrade. A 16g or a VF39. Again thanks for the help
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    Evo III 16g probably (depends on what you want out of it) but you need injectors, TMIC, fuel pump & tune.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Evo III 16g probably (depends on what you want out of it) but you need injectors, TMIC, fuel pump & tune.
    I have a set of PINKS and an STi TMIC, so I would get the Walbro 255 FP, and then a tune. Does anyone know of a good tuner shop near or close to Central Florida?
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    I have a set of PINKS and an STi TMIC, so I would get the Walbro 255 FP, and then a tune. Does anyone know of a good tuner shop near or close to Central Florida?

Is that stuff already installed?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying
    Thanks for the help and advice, I am really hopeing that this isnt a shot turbo because of the UpPipe grenading into the turbo. But worse case scenario, if I were to upgrade the turbo what is the best choice for upgrade. A 16g or a VF39. Again thanks for the help
    The ONLY reason for you to upgrade to a VF39 would be if you were short on cash (because they are so common).

As myco said, an EvoIII 16G would be a great upgrade for the 2.0L
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

No these parts are not installed, I am just in posession of them. I have been waiting to install for a ProTune or Turbo Upgrade then Tune. Actually cash is an issue, and you say the VF39's are a dime a dozen but I have yet to find a decent one for sale. I have been looking for an EVO III 16g as well, any advice where to find these for sale. Thanks for the help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    Running pinks and a STI TMIC with the EVOIII is going to hold you back power wise. I recommend at least 600cc-650cc minimum and a nice bar & plate TMIC for that turbo.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Running pinks and a STI TMIC with the EVOIII is going to hold you back power wise. I recommend at least 600cc-650cc minimum and a nice bar & plate TMIC for that turbo.
    Exactly where I was going.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.