Subaru WRX Forum banner

power steering issue

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Sinister 
#1 ·
i've got an 03 wrx sedan 5 spd and when im at idle-ish rpm's and stopped or going slow it feels like my car has no power steering, the wheel is ridiculously hard to turn, but at high speeds or if i rev the car it becomes easy to turn again? any ideas?

#2 ·
Sounds like a faulty pump. Any car's steering wheel should naturally be easier to turn at higher speeds, power steering or not. The reason it becomes easy when you rev it is because the pump runs off of the crank (via a belt) and spinning the crank= fluid being pumped.

#3 ·
going to sound dumb .. but sometimes its the simple stuff.. did you check the fluid? is it making noises? Is it only when cold or warm or all the time? I'd lean on the pump too.. but there could be other factors effecting it.

#5 ·
checked the fluid, that was my first thought, it was slightly low so i topped it off with dexron ATF(thats what youre supposed to use according to my cap), looked for any leaks, none to be found, havent done any donuts in the snow, went down a mud road the other day, which IS when it started, so i thought maybe packed mud under my skid plate, which there was, but i cleaned it out and its still doing it. anyone know how intensive of a job a ps pump is to replace?

#7 ·
As mentioned im assuming here that the fluid level is full as you mentioned and the belt is adjusted properly and in good condition...that being said check the little o-ring at the pump on the high pressure side...extremely common problem here..if this line moves AT ALL it will slightly displace the o-ring and allow air in the system...have seen it many many times...also lubricate the rag-joint in the steering shaft by the firewall...those get gummed up sometimes with rust and salt and whatnot...besides those I would prob lean towards the pump....The PS pump on these are pretty easy to replace Ive done at least a handful of them...I can say I would def go OEM for the pump fore Ive seen some pretty unpleasant problems from aftermarket pumps...I believe theres 3 12mm bolts holding the pump to the bracket/engine...If you do decide the tackle the job I would be more than happy to give you advice on how to do it...your call...;)

#6 ·
I've never done it myself but I've heard it's not too hard to replace. Good luck!

#8 ·
hey, just joined due to similar problems. actually i have the exact smae problem as 'abaker240'. when car isn't moving power steering is not owrking properly, but the only diff is, I did do donuts in the snow (if thats a regularly known no-no, sorry, im new to the subaru world) so obviously i have no idea how resolve this problem, please help.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.