Just purchased an 02 wrx wagon, Important Question

This is a discussion on Just purchased an 02 wrx wagon, Important Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i bought this car from original owners - older couple. completely stock, 68k original miles. recently my check engine ...

Question 02 wrx wagon, BURNING ALOT OF OIL

So i bought this car from original owners - older couple. completely stock, 68k original miles. recently my check engine light came on, i used a reader and it said MAF high input AIT low input and car running lean. i took my car into the shop and they fixed that issue. but they noticed that my car was burning oil out the exhaust in between 15k and 25k RPM. This only happens for a few minutes. i turn the car on wait till engine temp is normal then when i start driving it pours smoke out the exhaust for about 3-5 minutes then stops... could this be my pistons or turbo sealer? why would something like this happen with a car that has such low miles that hasn't been driven hard... yet.... also my heater works great when i'm driving but when i'm sitting at a stop light or something for a few minutes it gets cold... or when i sit for a while the engine temp goes up but once i start driving again it goes down. I'm new to Subaru and new to Turbo's.. what could this be caused from and what am i looking at in repairs?

- Thank you
    - Sean
    Last edited by ProjectWagon; 01-05-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: wrong title

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well to answer your question the reason the car with such low of miles can have so many problems is A: It hasn't been properly maintained or B: It has been beat to hell....From what your describing here I'm leaning towards option B..I know you mentioned it was an older couple though...Anyways if your 100% sure its oil burning and not coolant or anything I would pull off the down pipe and see if you have oil residue around the turbo...if so I'm going to say you have blown the turbo seals otherwise from the information you have provided...I would prob say a ring problem..( not to uncommon on those engines)...You could also do a compression test/wet compression test/leakdown test....they will give you alot of helpful information...As far as your heat problem....from what it sounds like its either a fautly thermostat or a clogged radiator....Inspect the cooling system for leaks and if none are found and everything looks to be in ok shape and your 100% sure there are no air pockets in the system I would go ahead and replace the thermostat ( cooling system problems can get very very expensive and the thermostat is prob the cheapest thing in the entire system excluding lines and coolant)....Was the car "stock" its entire life? I dont know how much information you where able to obtain about the vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Well to answer your question the reason the car with such low of miles can have so many problems is A: It hasn't been properly maintained or B: It has been beat to hell....From what your describing here I'm leaning towards option B..I know you mentioned it was an older couple though...Anyways if your 100% sure its oil burning and not coolant or anything I would pull off the down pipe and see if you have oil residue around the turbo...if so I'm going to say you have blown the turbo seals otherwise from the information you have provided...I would prob say a ring problem..( not to uncommon on those engines)...You could also do a compression test/wet compression test/leakdown test....they will give you alot of helpful information...As far as your heat problem....from what it sounds like its either a fautly thermostat or a clogged radiator....Inspect the cooling system for leaks and if none are found and everything looks to be in ok shape and your 100% sure there are no air pockets in the system I would go ahead and replace the thermostat ( cooling system problems can get very very expensive and the thermostat is prob the cheapest thing in the entire system excluding lines and coolant)....Was the car "stock" its entire life? I dont know how much information you where able to obtain about the vehicle...
    yea it has been stock its entire life. the smoke only last a little while but you say i should take the downpipe off and check for oil residue?
    -Thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectWagon View Post
    yea it has been stock its entire life. the smoke only last a little while but you say i should take the downpipe off and check for oil residue?
    -Thanks a bunch
    Personally if your 100% sure its oil yes that Is what I would do...no prob man..hope it is something simple...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Personally if your 100% sure its oil yes that Is what I would do...no prob man..hope it is something simple...
    thanks again! big help

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    did you check out you dp yet?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300