Check Engine & Cruise Control Light Came On

This is a discussion on Check Engine & Cruise Control Light Came On within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; While I was on my way to work this morning my check engine light came on as well as my ...

Check Engine & Cruise Control Light Came On

While I was on my way to work this morning my check engine light came on as well as my cruise control light keeps flashing on and off. This happened after I sped up to get in front of the car next to me as my lane was ending due to construction. I probably reached around 80 before I let off the gas due to traffic coming to a stop. That is when I heard a boom as the car kind of jerked. After that incident is when I noticed the lights on.

I think it may have to due with the sensors. Any ideas of what this could be?

I drive an 07 sti.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good chance you had boost creep and hit fuel cut due to overboosting. I guess it is cold there too?

Boost creep / fuel cut

What is the CEL code? It seems unusual because '07 was supposed to have a larger wastegate. Is the car stock or cattless?
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-05-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Good chance you had boost creep and hit fuel cut due to overboosting. I guess it is cold there too?

Boost creep / fuel cut

What is the CEL code? It seems unusual because '07 was supposed to have a larger wastegate. Is the car stock or cattless?
    Yeah it is in the high 30s here in Houston the past week. I am running a turboxs turbo back system. Besides that, my car is stock. So do you know if the lights will just turn off or what should I do?

I am currently at work so I haven't took it anywhere to see what it could be.

Take it over to most any auto part store and ask them to run the code on it, they will be able to clear it as well. Once you find out what the car says get back on here and post up the code and someone will be able to help you out.

GL with the situation.
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RSm1thX View Post
    Yeah it is in the high 30s here in Houston the past week. I am running a turboxs turbo back system. Besides that, my car is stock. So do you know if the lights will just turn off or what should I do?

I am currently at work so I haven't took it anywhere to see what it could be.
    That would most likely explain the problem. You need to get a stage II tune or generic base map put on the car ASAP>

I would buy an openport cable and get an internet tuning service ($total for both ~300). You will get a big jump in power and it will be much safer. Do not boost it hard the way it is again until you get it tuned.

alright so i took it to autozone after work to have them check it out...the code that came out was P0244 (turbocharger).

i forgot to mention that i am running a stage I cobb tune on my car. i was using my iphone at work earlier so i was trying to make it as short as possible...plus not supposed to be on phones while at work.

once i got home from autozone the check engine light as well as the cruise control light had gone off...so i will check back with the car in the morning and try to put the stage II tune on as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    The code is compatible with my explanation - wastegate control malfunction. You have less back pressure and it makes your wastegate duty cycle settings off etc.

If a stage II map doesn't fix it (good chance it will) you will have to look at porting the wastegate or getting a DP with a high flow cat.

I'm unclear as to why it is a stage I map if you have done the downpipe so confirm that for yourself before reflashing - Stage I = OEM DP, stage II = any other DP. "turbo back" includes the DP, so that is stage II. Catback is no DP = stage I.

yeah i have a full turbo back exhaust...a 4" downpipe to 3" to exhaust...i tried reflashing the stage II onto my car but my cobb isnt working so i havent had time to call cobb for help...i am off tomorrow so will try to get everything situated with that.

thanks for you help.

also...is there anything i have to do to fix this besides putting a stage II on? is this something that just happens and fixes itself? like i said the check engine light did turn off...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RSm1thX View Post
    yeah i have a full turbo back exhaust...a 4" downpipe to 3" to exhaust...i tried reflashing the stage II onto my car but my cobb isnt working so i havent had time to call cobb for help...i am off tomorrow so will try to get everything situated with that.

thanks for you help.

also...is there anything i have to do to fix this besides putting a stage II on? is this something that just happens and fixes itself? like i said the check engine light did turn off...
    You have to have a stage II flash on there first off regardless (there are other possible issues). When you reflash it will reset your ecu and should clear the codes. If the problem comes back it is mechanical. It will only happen at high load (high gear, high speed) and will be less likely if you don't pull a high gear from low RPM for a long time (downshift more).

Make sure your battery is completely charged and warmed up before you flash. Make sure it is a good battery and everything electrical is off or it can damage your ECU. That is the only problem I can think of flashing with Cobb. I would recommend contacting them before trying again too.

I Support ClubWRX
    I thought they changed that issue for 07 but my first 05 I had to adjust the actuator arm with my over the internet PDX custom map. Maybe they will recommend something like that.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

im having the same problem did u ever figure ut how to fix it?