Inner CV boot replacement help. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Inner CV boot replacement help. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Where would you order your cv boot from? Subaru Dealer? online? I know to get it OEM and not universal. ...

Where would you order your cv boot from? Subaru Dealer? online?
    I know to get it OEM and not universal.
    Do you recommend doing all 4 at once?
    April 04 WRBlue Pearl MT <--"Stitch"
    Mods: Premium Package,STI short shifter and titanuim knob,Momo Airleather shift knob,Rota Formels 17's,AP Stage 2,Coolsafe Thermostat, Apexi Intake, RallyArmor mudflaps, Bosal Cat-back exhaust, Crucial Racing Down-pipe, gold painted calipers,daddy's group buy 3 52mm gagues, center pod, delphi xm radio, JVC CD reciever

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by amccrazgrl View Post
    Where would you order your cv boot from? Subaru Dealer? online?
    I know to get it OEM and not universal.
    Do you recommend doing all 4 at once?
    Personally i would just go to the dealer fore any savings you get online from a Subaru parts supplier will be negligible... however If you would like to get an idea on a price check out www.subarupartsforyou.com ...DEFINITELY go OEM on this... Aftermarket boots are of poor quality...been there, done that, seen that..lol...Only replace the boot(s) that are torn or are leaking...These really arent a preventative maintence item..

I Support ClubWRX
    You could just buy a reman axle from like shucks, autozone, or napa, just make sure you get the one with the lifetime warranty.. Your going to need it.. But hey look at it this way... Youll be awesome at swappin axled!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    You could just buy a reman axle from like shucks, autozone, or napa, just make sure you get the one with the lifetime warranty.. Your going to need it.. But hey look at it this way... Youll be awesome at swappin axled!
    +1000000 on the Lifetime warranty...

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I just noticed that I have a torn inner boot on my right front axle. After reading all the above posts I am undecided on whether to just replace the boot or the entire axle. It sounds like there is more work involved with just replacing the boot than the entire axle. Also, if you guys say "replace the axle" would you recommend picking an re-manufactured one from a parts store or go to the dealer for one?
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but I just noticed that I have a torn inner boot on my right front axle. After reading all the above posts I am undecided on whether to just replace the boot or the entire axle. It sounds like there is more work involved with just replacing the boot than the entire axle. Also, if you guys say "replace the axle" would you recommend picking an re-manufactured one from a parts store or go to the dealer for one?
    If the joint doesnt look to dry and your not hearing any noise from the joint I would be replacing the boot/grease/clamps...How many miles has the boot been torn for? How much grease is left in the joint? alot? If you do end up purchasing another axle...Def. go dealer OEM for this part...

I just noticed the tear in it today so I'm not sure how long it's been torn. I only noticed it because it slung oil/grease on the exhaust so it started smoking. On the other hand, I have noticed a dull sort of thud if I took a hard left turn, since the busted boot is on the right, for quite some time now, but I couldn't quite figure out where it came from. In hindsight, it's quite possible that it could have come from the joint.

www.subarupartsforyou.com appears to have the axles for $329 or just the inner boot kit for $39. I guess it's quite the difference in price so I may just order the boot kit and see if I can manage to do the work myself.

I just noticed the tear in it today so I'm not sure how long it's been torn. I only noticed it because it slung oil/grease on the exhaust so it started smoking. On the other hand, I have noticed a dull sort of thud if I took a hard left turn, since the busted boot is on the right, for quite some time now, but I couldn't quite figure out where it came from. In hindsight, it's quite possible that it could have come from the joint.

www.subarupartsforyou.com appears to have the axles for $329 or just the inner boot kit for $39. I guess it's quite the difference in price so I may just order the boot kit and see if I can manage to do the work myself.

I def. understand your time is valuable just as all of ours is, however If I was in your situation I would prob. order the boot kit and do the job myself, if the joint starts making noise sell than I would cross that bridge when I came to it..so your out $39 plus your time...around $300 is a good chunk of change to me, plus I'm frugal lol

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I def. understand your time is valuable just as all of ours is, however If I was in your situation I would prob. order the boot kit and do the job myself, if the joint starts making noise sell than I would cross that bridge when I came to it..so your out $39 plus your time...around $300 is a good chunk of change to me, plus I'm frugal lol
    Yeah, I ordered the boot kit and I should be getting it tomorrow. It turned out to be cheaper from the local dealer ($46) as it would have cost me ~$52 after shipping from the online shop. I'll tear into it this weekend and hopefully it'll work fine.

Yeah, I ordered the boot kit and I should be getting it tomorrow. It turned out to be cheaper from the local dealer ($46) as it would have cost me ~$52 after shipping from the online shop. I'll tear into it this weekend and hopefully it'll work fine.
    Good luck man

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Personally I have never added grease when I replace just the clamp, fore usually if you notice the boot leaking just around the clamp you catch it in time so not to much grease has spewed out lol
    Are the clamps a dealer only part or is that something that can be sourced at a local auto parts store?

I'm experiencing a bit of a smell (oil/grease) and it was suggested that I check my CV boots which I know had a small amount of grease seeping out. I'm going to more carefully inspect to see if there is a tear or not. Hopefully just a clamp will solve the issue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12