ball joint or cv joint

This is a discussion on ball joint or cv joint within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i own a 2005 sti. i had it for a year. i dont know much about cars. i got it ...

ball joint or cv joint

i own a 2005 sti. i had it for a year. i dont know much about cars. i got it cause i loved it. since i had the car. it has been making popping out of place noise, or a knock noise? i cant really explain. it makes the sound when im turning or when im letting go the gas fast. also now its making this screeching noise that just happen recently. knock noise from rear wheels, and screeching noise from rear on driver side. it also makes a noise when im braking in reverse. but i know thats common in stis, so i dont worry about it. any help to this newbie? thanks alot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? Personally I would do a thorough visual inspection of everything....from what it sounds like from the information you have provided..a shot from the hip here I would say either the rear struts are shot or the rear diff is moving a tad (both common problems)...define this "screeching" like a brake noise or a belt noise ( I know you mentioned it was coming from the rear of the vehicle so I'm inclined to think perhaps your pads are getting low or something...When does it make the "screech" noise?

i have almost 30,xxxk miles. well it makes a screech noise when im in reverse or in neutral rolling down a hill and i press on the brakes. only makes the noise when im going in reverse. not sure why. but in other forums i heard it was normal. so yeah, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sti57 View Post
    i have almost 30,xxxk miles. well it makes a screech noise when im in reverse or in neutral rolling down a hill and i press on the brakes. only makes the noise when im going in reverse. not sure why. but in other forums i heard it was normal. so yeah, not sure.
    So I'm thinking its brake related..I would have all your brakes inspected and if everything looks fine and your arent noticing any noticeable symptoms of any problems besides the screeching I would prob put on some disc brake quiet available and NAPA and such and see if that helps your problem... You can usually tell if its the brakes screeching if someone is outside of the car and listens closely by the wheel...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    So I'm thinking its brake related..I would have all your brakes inspected and if everything looks fine and your arent noticing any noticeable symptoms of any problems besides the screeching I would prob put on some disc brake quiet available and NAPA and such and see if that helps your problem... You can usually tell if its the brakes screeching if someone is outside of the car and listens closely by the wheel...
    yeah. it is pretty loud. idk why it doesnt happen when im braking while driving. just in reverse. but ill go get some disc brake quiet. since your a subie owner. is this normal. cause in other threads in other sites said it was. ohh btw, about that clanking noise or knocking noise when im driving, turning and etc. so yeahhh. thanks for the help mannn. much appreciate.

yeah. it is pretty loud. idk why it doesnt happen when im braking while driving. just in reverse. but ill go get some disc brake quiet. since your a subie owner. is this normal. cause in other threads in other sites said it was. ohh btw, about that clanking noise or knocking noise when im driving, turning and etc. so yeahhh. thanks for the help mannn. much appreciate.
    No prob. man......keep in mind though it is quite difficult to diagnose things like this over the internet fore obviously i cant see/touch/hear the car.....Personally I don't consider any noise "normal" ...It may be common but not normal....As for the "knocking " sound...you mention it is coming from around the rear wheels? I'm thinking from the information you have provided that its either the struts or the diff moving a tad to much when you give it the go...Do you get the "knocking" noise when going over bumps like a speed bump or a sewer grate or anything..or just when you give it a good shot of the gas?...

No prob. man......keep in mind though it is quite difficult to diagnose things like this over the internet fore obviously i cant see/touch/hear the car.....Personally I don't consider any noise "normal" ...It may be common but not normal....As for the "knocking " sound...you mention it is coming from around the rear wheels? I'm thinking from the information you have provided that its either the struts or the diff moving a tad to much when you give it the go...Do you get the "knocking" noise when going over bumps like a speed bump or a sewer grate or anything..or just when you give it a good shot of the gas?...
    for the knocking. i hear it when i give it kinda alot of gas, then release it fast. or when im turning. not going over bumbs or anything. but i hear the screechy noise when i go over bumbs of any kind, even normal driving. that i think s the ball joints. if i cant get all of these problems fix in simple ways or cheap ways. ima sell it, as much as i dont want too. i have too. dont got the $ espeacailly with a baby comming soon. yup.

for the knocking. i hear it when i give it kinda alot of gas, then release it fast. or when im turning. not going over bumbs or anything. but i hear the screechy noise when i go over bumbs of any kind, even normal driving. that i think s the ball joints. if i cant get all of these problems fix in simple ways or cheap ways. ima sell it, as much as i dont want too. i have too. dont got the $ espeacailly with a baby comming soon. yup.
    If you said you are 100% sure the knocking noise is coming from the rear...there arent any ball joints back there so its def not them...I would do a very thorough visual inspection of everything under the car first..also shake down the front end...12 &6 for ball joints 3 and 9 for tie rods...also check your motor and trans/rear diff. mounts and pitching stopper....

If you said you are 100% sure the knocking noise is coming from the rear...there arent any ball joints back there so its def not them...I would do a very thorough visual inspection of everything under the car first..also shake down the front end...12 &6 for ball joints 3 and 9 for tie rods...also check your motor and trans/rear diff. mounts and pitching stopper....
    uhm. so no ball joints in the back? cause i thought the squeaky noise would probably be from that. not the knocking.

squeaky noise when driving = ball joints i think? (back left)

squeaking noise when braking in reverse = brake pads or something? (on all wheels i think?)

knocking, popping out of place noise = ???? (rear right)

idk if you understand. well thankx for the help again lol. idk shizzles about cars thats why haha.

uhm. so no ball joints in the back? cause i thought the squeaky noise would probably be from that. not the knocking.

squeaky noise when driving = ball joints i think? (back left)

squeaking noise when braking in reverse = brake pads or something? (on all wheels i think?)

knocking, popping out of place noise = ???? (rear right)

idk if you understand. well thankx for the help again lol. idk shizzles about cars thats why haha.

Nope...no ball joints in the rear...at least not on these cars...squeaking noise im still convinced is the brakes...check to see if a pad wear sensor is contacting the rotor or perhaps the pads are low or rust has built up.....Im still thinking the popping sound might be a strut....like i said do a visual and shake down the front end and we will go from there....

Nope...no ball joints in the rear...at least not on these cars...squeaking noise im still convinced is the brakes...check to see if a pad wear sensor is contacting the rotor or perhaps the pads are low or rust has built up.....Im still thinking the popping sound might be a strut....like i said do a visual and shake down the front end and we will go from there....
    haha thankx once more man and your knoledge of these powerful machines. well ima go take a look when i get a chance. i dont drive it anymore. if i dont get any luck imago to a mechanic shop or something. yup. ill post anything, if anything comes up.

haha thankx once more man and your knoledge of these powerful machines. well ima go take a look when i get a chance. i dont drive it anymore. if i dont get any luck imago to a mechanic shop or something. yup. ill post anything, if anything comes up.
    Alright man..Good luck...hope its something simple..

Sube 4 life!!

hey whats up. not sure what the other guy is talking about but I own a 07 sti and there are cv joint in the rear of my sti. I have a very loud banging noise from the passanger rear and i thought it was the rear diff. but it not. Like you said when driving slow with out gas i can hear it banging around but when torque is applied the joint is tight and you don't hear it but when cruising slow and off the gas i can hear it or over bumps. thanx god for the 6/100,000 warranty my sti has 41,000 hard miles and motul oil still running strong even when i jump it for fun. type in rear sti cv joint in google something will come up.