Fuel odor on shutdown?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fuel odor on shutdown? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up my 04 WRX yesterday and I've noticed that when I pull into my garage, I smell ...

Fuel odor on shutdown?

I just picked up my 04 WRX yesterday and I've noticed that when I pull into my garage, I smell an odor of fuel inside the car. I thought that it might be the garage since I haven't smelled it when I park in a lot or when I parked after the test drive, but the odor is strongest near the car and almost unnoticeable near where I store my gas for the mower (other side of the garage). The odor is strongest inside the car, but I could also smell it under the hood when I popped it.

This is my first Subaru, so any suggestions would be most welcome. I'm hoping I didn't get myself a money pit...

Also... is there at trick to getting the hood to latch properly? It took me more than a few tries.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry - just realized there's a big, giant sticky on this topic. Still... thoughts on the hood?

Quote Originally Posted by Ten32 View Post
    I just picked up my 04 WRX yesterday and I've noticed that when I pull into my garage, I smell an odor of fuel inside the car. I thought that it might be the garage since I haven't smelled it when I park in a lot or when I parked after the test drive, but the odor is strongest near the car and almost unnoticeable near where I store my gas for the mower (other side of the garage). The odor is strongest inside the car, but I could also smell it under the hood when I popped it.

This is my first Subaru, so any suggestions would be most welcome. I'm hoping I didn't get myself a money pit...

Also... is there at trick to getting the hood to latch properly? It took me more than a few tries.
    How many miles are on the vehicle?
    As for the latch...pop the hood open and spray some silicone spray or PB blaster down into the latch on the radiator support...than take a screw driver and kind of try and move the lever/cable a bit...Extremely common problem..they get rusted/gummed up all the time..Than shut the hood and see if it latches the first time....Usually this takes care of this concern.....As for your fuel smell...do a visual inspection of the entire system first.....make sure there are no significant/noticeable leaks....I know there is this >>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<< ... and it does not pertain to your model year vehicle however...I have seen those fuel pipes under the intake manifold leak on other turbo models around the same era....Baja, WRX etc.... Also carefully inspect the little rubber lines as pictured in the thread above..there are some on the drivers side and passangers side...those tend to leak even on the non-turbo models from 00-04..at least from what I've seen...

After doing a lot of reading on the topic, it seems like my problem might be different than the commonly described one. I see that a lot of people had a hard time replicating the problem for the dealership because the hose expands as the engine heats up, so the odor is worst when the air and engine are cold. My odor only seems to come on when the car is warmed up - I don't smell it on start-up, only when I shut down.

I've got about 55k on the clock.
    Last edited by Ten32; 01-01-2010 at 08:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.