How to replace wheel front wheel bearings.

This is a discussion on How to replace wheel front wheel bearings. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK so the other night i thot i drift around this corner was only doing like 25, pulled the E ...

How to replace wheel front wheel bearings.

OK so the other night i thot i drift around this corner was only doing like 25, pulled the E and started to slide i paniked go figure and slamed on the breakes, my car slid into the curve breaking my front rim completly off the the wheel and bent the back one . Broke swaybar endlink, bent controll arm and after i got it all replaced thers this grinding noise coming from the right fron wheel. the rotor isnt bent so i assume i f up my wheel bearing. how hard is it to change it do i need a press or can i do it with regular hand tools thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1st lesson: do not pull on e-brake to snow drift in these cars(alls you need to do is turn the steering wheel one way, snap it the other and give it a little gas and itll kick out)

2nd lesson: do NOT slam on the brakes thats what makes you slide

3rd lesson: dont tell people the not so smart things you did to ruin your car, then ask how to fix it, most people wont answer when they read that.
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    1st lesson: do not pull on e-brake to snow drift in these cars(alls you need to do is turn the steering wheel one way, snap it the other and give it a little gas and itll kick out)

2nd lesson: do NOT slam on the brakes thats what makes you slide

3rd lesson: dont tell people the not so smart things you did to ruin your car, then ask how to fix it, most people wont answer when they read that.
    Well im srry im not perfect SIR people do make mistakes did you know the only way to learn is if you make a mistake and if people wont help me thats fine but its there decision not yours.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BugeyeWRXFTW View Post
    Well im srry im not perfect SIR people do make mistakes did you know the only way to learn is if you make a mistake and if people wont help me thats fine but its there decision not yours.
    Yeah, I agree. I did it when I was 16 too. It wasn't until years later that I could manage an ebrake 360 in a deserted intersection (not in a suby) - my mom and wife were not impressed though.

You can find someone willing to press them in if you bring in the knuckle to save $$ or you can take it to Subaru for ~360-$380.

Full walkthrough with pics here: Wheel Bearing Replacement - Guru's guide w/pics - NASIOC
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

im not saying people are perfect, believe me i've made my fair share of mistakes because its only human.

what i was trying to say was some things are just common sense, i apologize for coming off as a ****....rough night last night
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

What year is the vehicle? This determines exactly which type of wheel bearing you have...in 2005 subaru started making the bearing and hub assembly an easy 4 bolt pop out style which made replacement of either front or rear extremely simple....If you have the old style..Subaru has there own wheel bearing kit designed for on the car replacement..If you can get your hands on one of those kits that would be the easiest thing to do in my opinion however I doubt the dealership would "rent" it to you...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    What year is the vehicle? This determines exactly which type of wheel bearing you have...in 2005 subaru started making the bearing and hub assembly an easy 4 bolt pop out style which made replacement of either front or rear extremely simple....If you have the old style..Subaru has there own wheel bearing kit designed for on the car replacement..If you can get your hands on one of those kits that would be the easiest thing to do in my opinion however I doubt the dealership would "rent" it to you...
    He has bugeye in his name so I'm guessing out of luck there.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    He has bugeye in his name so I'm guessing out of luck there.
    Yeah I noticed that...Ive seen some pretty odd "screen names" on here though so...eh..worth a shot....Still if he could get a hold of one of those kits... Ive replaced them with and without the kit and its a HUGE difference in ease...Unless of course as the tutorial suggests you take the HUB/Knuckle to a machine shop or something and have them press the bearing out and the new in....:/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    im not saying people are perfect, believe me i've made my fair share of mistakes because its only human.

what i was trying to say was some things are just common sense, i apologize for coming off as a ****....rough night last night
    It's cool bro we all have bad days mine was when I broke my car lol so I'm gonna need a press I'm just gonna take it to my mecanic he's a subaru ex tech so hell do it thanks for the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyeWRXFTW View Post
    It's cool bro we all have bad days mine was when I broke my car lol so I'm gonna need a press I'm just gonna take it to my mecanic he's a subaru ex tech so hell do it thanks for the help guys
    No prob. man...good luck!