Rear Differetial locked :/

This is a discussion on Rear Differetial locked :/ within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; While attempting to drift in the snow/pavement, my car started bouncing in the rear end and my steering wheel started ...

Rear Differetial locked :/

While attempting to drift in the snow/pavement, my car started bouncing in the rear end and my steering wheel started to have resistance while turning sharply, while accelerating froward i had no issues but while turning it seemed like the rear diff was locked. What would cause this? How do I fix it? oh its a 2002 wrx. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your rear end is bouncing?? Did you smack a curb and bend a wheel? You may have broke an axle?

Whats this about the steering? Its hard? You may have broke your belt, ps pump or burnt up your rack.

Drifting in the snow can cause a lot of issues. These cars may be on tv rallying across the world but there is 10s of thousands of dollars over and above the standard wrx/sti put into those cars.. They simply arent built for that stuff.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

In the following thread about rallying in the snow we discussed donuts.
    Good idea or Bad idea?

Seems when doing donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    it's even worse on the steering pump... every year there are several posts about steering pumps blowing their seals because of people doing donuts.
    Also, stick your head under the rear of the car, see if you can find anything broken.

A

Well I don't think it's my power steering cuz it's fine unroll I actually turn sharply I'm pretty sure my duffs locked up, quick fix tips?

Quote Originally Posted by w-are-x View Post
    Well I don't think it's my power steering cuz it's fine unless I actually turn sharply I'm pretty sure my diffs locked up, quick fix tips?
    Did you hit anything?

Do the rear wheels look like they are in the right place?

Have you looked under the car or in the engine bay for damage?

We can post up all kinds of theories, but from what you describe a "quick fix" isn't going to be possible. You're going to need to replace what ever you broke or bent.

I looked underneath and I couldn't see anything obvious il have to take a better look