power steering is stiff upon start

This is a discussion on power steering is stiff upon start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, My power steering is stiff for the first minute or so after I start up my 02 WRX. ...

power steering is stiff upon start

Hi all,

My power steering is stiff for the first minute or so after I start up my 02 WRX. It's so stiff I can barely pull out of a parking space. Then after driving for a short bit everything seems fine.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you had a recent cold spell when you just noticed this happening? How is the P/S fluid level/condition? How is the P/S/ALT drive belt tension/condition? How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you had any recent maintenance done to the vehicle? How does the rag-joint look on the steering shaft coming out of the fire wall /..rusty/seized?? You could try lubricating that a tad and see if it helps...Ive seen these get all "aged with rust/road grimed up"...

same

i have had the same problem but mine also squeals. i believe the belt needs to be tightened.
    any thoughts, or if you agree maybe a short tutorial on how to do tighten

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye'03 View Post
    i have had the same problem but mine also squeals. i believe the belt needs to be tightened.
    any thoughts, or if you agree maybe a short tutorial on how to do tighten
    Take a peek here on how to change/adjust the drive belts...Its much easier than me trying to explain it.... Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Make sure u buy a Subaru belt no aftermarket cheap one....

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This guy is directionally challenged so if you watch it reverse everything he says about clockwise or counterclockwise.

YouTube - WRX Belt install
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This guy is directionally challenged so if you watch it reverse everything he says about clockwise or counterclockwise.

YouTube - WRX Belt install
    Good tutorial...man I really take it for granted using air tools/cordless impact to replace those things every day...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Have you had a recent cold spell when you just noticed this happening? How is the P/S fluid level/condition? How is the P/S/ALT drive belt tension/condition? How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you had any recent maintenance done to the vehicle? How does the rag-joint look on the steering shaft coming out of the fire wall /..rusty/seized?? You could try lubricating that a tad and see if it helps...Ive seen these get all "aged with rust/road grimed up"...
    Yes it seems to be worse lately, tho not sure it's connected to the cold. This car's been through 8 winters and this is a new thing. The P/S fluid is okay. 75K miles on the car. I have no idea where or what the rag-joint is (not a mechanic here), so I can't answer that question. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveB View Post
    Yes it seems to be worse lately, tho not sure it's connected to the cold. This car's been through 8 winters and this is a new thing. The P/S fluid is okay. 75K miles on the car. I have no idea where or what the rag-joint is (not a mechanic here), so I can't answer that question. Thanks for the response.
    The only reason I mention the cold weather is because I drive Subarus all day long...and when I hop in even the newer ones and its bone chilling cold ( around 15 F ) the steering is a tad odd for the first maybe 30 seconds or so until things get moving...

Mine has done this for the last two winters, but it never lasts longer than the first time I turn the wheel. If I let the car warm up or give the throttle a little nudge while turning the wheel it seems to go away. There is no squeal noise when this happens for me so I do not believe it is an issue with a lose belt. I have not checked the Fluid, but haven't seen any leaks. I figured it is probably the power steering pump getting older and not having the fluid moving around as quickly as it used to on a cold start.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

My 02 wrx is doing the exact same thing. I do hear a belt squeal though. I have 77k miles on it and just had service done on it.