Axle nut removeal

This is a discussion on Axle nut removeal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trying to replace the front driver side drive axle on 04 WRX and I'm having no luck removing the axle ...

Axle nut removeal

Trying to replace the front driver side drive axle on 04 WRX and I'm having no luck removing the axle nut. I stood on a 3 foot breaker bar with 32mm socket on the nut. The nut won't budge. I've tried heating it with a propane torch, no luck. The wheel is on the car and car is on the ground. I also hooked up my air impact wrench set at the max 120psi on the compressor and still nothing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? That is absolutely insane...are you replacing a boot or the entire axle assembly? In the dozens and dozens of Subaru axles Ive had out I have never once had a problem with getting the axle nut off...sometimes the splines get stuck in the hub but thats mostly on older models...Are you sure your turning the right way? righty tighty lefty loosy...

"oh... left... right..." doh haha

You unstaked the stake nut right? Just trying to help.

Good luck, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of air gun are you using? A harbor freight gun isn't going to do the job.

What brand of breaker bar? Try placing it straight up, put your Jack handle over it and hit that sucker harder than a linebacker in your way of 6.

Like said above... Did you unstake it?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

The one time that I have done this I used an electric impact gun. from harbor freight
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    The one time that I have done this I used an electric impact gun. from harbor freight
    Impressive. (that sounds kind of ****) I didnt mean in like that. I am actually quite impressed that thing did it. Axle nuts generally arent to difficult but for an electric impact it would be difficult, especially a harbor freight one. Dont get me wrong they have some name brand stuff so I guess it could be possible, but you know what I mean when I say harbor freight.. The 19.99 impact gun.. LOL..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks for the replies on this. I used more force and a little heat from a small propane torch. I also bought a larger breaker bar after breaking the one I had(the pin holding the head broke). The car is and 05 model and I replaced the entire axle after reading that was easier than replacing just the boot. Had some difficulty in getting the axle to pop into place on the tranny, but just needed to get a little more physical with the axle. Seems to working just fine now and no grease all over the wheel, brake caliper etc.

Quote Originally Posted by reddiewrx View Post
    Thanks for the replies on this. I used more force and a little heat from a small propane torch. I also bought a larger breaker bar after breaking the one I had(the pin holding the head broke). The car is and 05 model and I replaced the entire axle after reading that was easier than replacing just the boot. Had some difficulty in getting the axle to pop into place on the tranny, but just needed to get a little more physical with the axle. Seems to working just fine now and no grease all over the wheel, brake caliper etc.
    glad to hear it worked out...

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Impressive. (that sounds kind of ****) I didnt mean in like that. I am actually quite impressed that thing did it. Axle nuts generally arent to difficult but for an electric impact it would be difficult, especially a harbor freight one. Dont get me wrong they have some name brand stuff so I guess it could be possible, but you know what I mean when I say harbor freight.. The 19.99 impact gun.. LOL..
    Iv got a snap on electric impact. It is an amazing tool. I forget the torque specs; but iv used it on tractor trailer lugs, flywheel and crankshaft bolts, wheel nuts, rusted and busted body mount bolts. It really breaks anything loose. Iv snapped a few impact sockets with it though. Gotta love snap on!

To the OP PB blaster that dude! let it soak and then maybe some heat will help?

EDIT: NVM i see you put heat to it and busted it loose lol... day late and a dollar short i guess.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime