Smoking turbo?

This is a discussion on Smoking turbo? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, Here with another question... I have an 05 2.0L WRX with about 94k on it. I have kept up ...

Smoking turbo?

Ok,

Here with another question...

I have an 05 2.0L WRX with about 94k on it.

I have kept up with the maintenance pretty well, but also know that for some reason it is leaking oil and not getting the greatest gas mileage.

My question. I was sitting with the car parked for about 3-4 minutes today and saw smoke (not steam) coming from the scoop. I looked under the hood and it looks like there is some kind of whitish smoke coming from somewhere near the turbo.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    could be a coolant leak spraying on the turbo, could be the oil feed line leaking the oil onto the turbo..

What does it smell like?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

It more or less smells like burning oil/burning metal.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    could be a coolant leak spraying on the turbo, could be the oil feed line leaking the oil onto the turbo..

What does it smell like?
    See your answer was what should be the normal response.... not man go use the search. This was the type of answer I was looking for this morning.

OP good luck with the problem.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    See your answer was what should be the normal response.... not man go use the search. This was the type of answer I was looking for this morning.

OP good luck with the problem.
    Dude.. It really isnt as big of a deal as your making it but bringing it up again in another thread is not a good way to help yourself. That is called thread-jacking and it is against forum rules.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCtower View Post
    It more or less smells like burning oil/burning metal.
    Burning oil/metal have you noticed any noises when your turbo spools? Boost levels ok? Id suggest taking a look at your oil line for your turbo but if it smells maybe like metal you should have the shaft play on your turbo checked out.

Haha, dont jack my thread, this has me quite worried.

Turbo seems pretty healthy. I dont "get on it" much, but the boost still comes up to about the normal levels and doesnt make any super screwey noises.

Is there a good way to check to see if coolant or oil is leaking on it?

Also, I am not positive thats where the smoke is coming from, but when looking thats where it appears to be coming from. I cant really see too much more.

Thx!
    Last edited by ATCtower; 12-27-2009 at 04:42 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    if it smells like burning oil, its more than likely burning oil. If it has a sweet smell to it that it coolant.

Update

Ok, so we found that my power steering pump is leaking **** loads of fluid and it has been making its way to the turbo heat shield. That was the issue with the smoke.

New question is how hard is it to change the engine mounts now that we have also found they are losing grip and need to be replaced (it looks like the loose grip is on the frame).

Quote Originally Posted by ATCtower View Post
    Ok, so we found that my power steering pump is leaking **** loads of fluid and it has been making its way to the turbo heat shield. That was the issue with the smoke.
    So how did you cured the leak? I guess that I'm having the same problem, smoke coming from the turbo but can't see any leaks . Maybe you have some pictures of the leak? It would be a great help!