boost surges builds to 17 and drops to 7 and back
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on boost surges builds to 17 and drops to 7 and back within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am a wrx noob. I purchased a 2002 wrx wagon last week. It was a trade in and has ...

boost surges builds to 17 and drops to 7 and back

I am a wrx noob. I purchased a 2002 wrx wagon last week. It was a trade in and has a turbo back exhaust, and a new td04l turbo. I need to know where to start troubleshooting. The turbo just continually surges 7-17-7psi while getting on it in 4th or 5th. Any advice on what to adjust?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not getting any feedback so going to try to adjust the wastegate arm longer one turn at a time and see what it does.

i had a problem with my 99 wrx surging from 10psi to 15psi then back. when i upgraded to the v5 sti intercooler i have on it now the surge went away my only guess was that my standard intercooler was leaking some where or something along those lines. i would check all the bolts etc and make sure they are not loose. once my bov adapter also had a loose bolt which made the turbo whine extremely loud sounded goos but made the boost surge aswell. hope this helps a lil.
    1999 WRX Wagon
    STI bits

Hopefully someone will chime in... I just lengthened the wastegate arm one full turn. My surging is still identical except now it surges up to 14psi and down to 5 psi and back. My turbo control is completely factory. I don't think I have a vacume leak. at Idle i read 15psi. Before I lengthened the wastegate arm it was steady at 20 psi. (the gauge is tapped of the recirc valve vacume line.) Please help.

Thanks PHBTMA, when I get more time, I may take the intercooler off and put it back on after checking all the connections and hoses.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check the function of your BPV, and check all vaccuum line connections.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the car even have any engine management? The technical term for whats happening is "boost oscillations".
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

no engine management, and stock boost control setup. It does have turbo-back exhaust and new turbo td04l. Not sure of the history of the car because it was a trade in vehicle. I tried the old starter fluid trick on the vacume lines and didn't detect any leaks.

i need advise and help

i got oil in my intake and my 02 wagon wont start i ran it hard for about 25 miles and got to a stoplight and she cut off on me wont start now any advise --

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RASTAROSS View Post
    i got oil in my intake and my 02 wagon wont start i ran it hard for about 25 miles and got to a stoplight and she cut off on me wont start now any advise --
    Yes. Start your own thread and in that thread list all your mods..............

> FAQ - Support Threads <
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by j.sprague View Post
    no engine management, and stock boost control setup. It does have turbo-back exhaust and new turbo td04l. Not sure of the history of the car because it was a trade in vehicle. I tried the old starter fluid trick on the vacume lines and didn't detect any leaks.
    You need to get engine management and go from there. You cannot just free up the exhaust restrictions and expect the car to run like normal. The ECU is now having problems controlling boost with the stock parameters.

Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Downpipe FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Exhaust FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I was thinking of a tactrix cable and an internet tune from 555motorsports, but wanted to put an uppipe on first. If anyone suggests going another direction, I am all ears.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by j.sprague View Post
    I was thinking of a tactrix cable and an internet tune from 555motorsports, but wanted to put an uppipe on first. If anyone suggests going another direction, I am all ears.
    Sounds like a good plan for the tuning. You don't really have to wait on the UP though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I talked to benchmark tuning and they sound like they have really good internet tuning program. I ordered a bunch of stuff to put on first. Tactrix cable, after maf hose, k and n drop in filter, header and uptube +header wrap. Should let things breath...

I've been having a similar problem with my 03 except sometimes it will boost fine, somtimes it will bounce. No around me had been able to fiqure it out. Hope you get yours solved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.