RPM Elevation When Clutch Disengaged in 1st Gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on RPM Elevation When Clutch Disengaged in 1st Gear within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All -- I'm new to the Club WRX but not to Subarus -- I'm on my second [my first ...

RPM Elevation When Clutch Disengaged in 1st Gear

Hi All -- I'm new to the Club WRX but not to Subarus -- I'm on my second [my first was an 2003 WRX that I just sold this past summer].

Anyhow, my new 2009 is a great ride -- albeit not without some quirks. One issue I wanted to ask about is a strange RPM elevation that occurs during stop and go traffic in 1st gear and also while in reverse. When I am in stop and go traffic in 1st gear and disengage the clutch the RPM's will usually stay at between 1500-2000 before dropping afer a few seconds or when the car comes to a complete stop. The only way to get the Revs to drop to idle immediately is to slip the transmission into neutral.

Never had anything like this on my 2003. I did contact Subaru of America and they sent out a field Rep. to look at the car [also had some annoying rattling issues that he had to check out]. With regard to the RPM issue, he said he checked my car against other 2009 WRX's and found this to be normal.

So -- has anyone else that has an 2008 or 2009 experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks for any input!

-Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yep, normal.. there's a thread about it somewhere in here. My 2010 does it too. Annoying for those of us that know how to slip a clutch.. but I guess it makes it easier for those who don't know how to drive in parking lots or in city traffic.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Hey Mangostick --

Thanks for the input. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this phenomenon. It is really annoying, especially coming from an 2003 that didn't do this. I've gotten used to it but it still seems a bit strange. Between this feature and the hill holder feature, I think Subaru is trying to be a little too much like "big brother." I've been driving a manual since I got my license [so say about 12 years]. I don't need a car manufacturer assisting me in this dept. But oh well. . .

Thanks again for the input. Glad there's nothing wrong.

-Josh

Yep, mine does it too. Really annoying...

Wish I could get rid of this 'feature'.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh0979 View Post
    Hey Mangostick --

Thanks for the input. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this phenomenon. It is really annoying, especially coming from an 2003 that didn't do this. I've gotten used to it but it still seems a bit strange. Between this feature and the hill holder feature, I think Subaru is trying to be a little too much like "big brother." I've been driving a manual since I got my license [so say about 12 years]. I don't need a car manufacturer assisting me in this dept. But oh well. . .

Thanks again for the input. Glad there's nothing wrong.

-Josh
    No worries .. I've been driving manuals about same amount of time (15yrs now, drove my first manual when I brought my first vehicle home ). The hill holder is fun to play with though I find myself sitting on a hill and will purposely let off the brake and let it hang for a sec .. with a stupid grin the whole time. Especially if I have a passenger. "hey check this out " I don't need it.. and when it releases it feels kinda odd, I just get a kick out of all the features that new cars have to overcome the "non-driver" inadequacies. Atleast there aren't any scoobies that will park themselves. lol

I've got 8k mi on the car now and aside of the "rev hang" between gears and in first.. the car is seriously fun to drive.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Mangostick--

Yep -- definitely a great driving car out of the box despite the car's electronic nannies. I've got about the same amount of miles as you do and have enjoyed every minute. . .

As an aside -- I posted another thread in the performance mod forum regarding an SPT exhaust. I bolted it up in August but the thing droned like hell so I begrudgingly took it off. Now of course I miss that boxer engine rumble I was thinking of cutting the straight pipe and welding in an inline resonator to cut down on the drone. You have any experience with this? Do you know if there's another thread that has gone into this at all. I really like the SPT piece and hate to see it sitting in the old garage.

Let mme know if you have any thoughts on this.

wish I could help, but still on a factory exhaust for now. Looking to go with a turboxs unit. I've only heard the spt units from outside the car but in my previous experiences a resonator should cut down a good bit of that mind numbing midrange drone. I had a merkur for a while with 3" tbe w/straight through muffler. Was fun to be able to hear the turbo spool down after a rev but on highway round 2500rpm it was terrible. I ended up adding two 16" dynomax bullet mufflers (basically a resonator) coupled with the single Ultraflow I originally had and that helped out quite a bit. Not a scoobie though, and the exhaust pulse is definitely different from a I4 to a boxer so I'm not sure how it would compare.

I have plans for a good amount of dynamat in my scoobie regardless of what exhaust I end up running. I'm also in a 5dr with a single muffler/outlet where you have the duals on the sedan.. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the resonance of the exhaust note through the car? hmm..

back to topic at hand.. I wonder if the "rev hang" feature can be deleted during tuning?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Mangostick,

Perhaps someone will come out with a software "reflash" that can deep six this stupid feature. Obviously once you start messing with the ECU your warranty's out of the window. However, if someone came up with a way to get rid of both the rev hang and the hill holder feature via some sort of software update I'd probably sign on. . .

Also -- thanks for the two cents on my exhaust question. I'll probably give the resonator thing a shot. Have a line on a Vibrant Ultraquiet resonator that could potentially help.

That makes two of us.. I dont mind the hill holder even if its odd feeling .. but the rev hang is annoying. To loose both would be fine with me.

Speaking of hill holder, just today I was showing it to a co-worker and he thought it was odd they included it in a sports car. I agree with him, I could see why a forester or outback package car would have it.. but not the wrx... doesn't make any sense as most who are going to buy a new 5spd car are already well versed in driving one.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Agreed. That's exactly why I think that Subaru should leave the driving to its buyers. It's not even like these features add to the safety of the car in my opinion. Oh well; I'll keep praying that someone comes up with a software fix.

Thread helped me out a lot, I've been playing with that rev hang for a while... it's not really consistent on my 2010. I've been trying to recreate the rev hang but it seems to happen at different rpms, and doesn't occur every time for me. Oh well, at least I know it's normal.

About the hill assist. This may sound very beginner ish but I find it useful! Well you see, I came off an 87 supra N/A that I've been driving for 8 years and the clutch is amazingly soft and forgiving in that car. Going from that to the wrx was a huge difference, I find myself over revving quite a bit, getting used to the touchy pedal as well (vs mechanical pedal on my 87, thing was stiff and i liked it ). I worked on easing on the pedal during standing starts... and sometimes in fear of over revving I stalled the car (like twice already? ). I don't feel like I'm an inadequate manual driver, but the wrx was a big upgrade for me, and the clutch is much different than my previous. So especially on a hill, the hill assist really helps me not over rev the engine in fear of rolling back. Otherwise I'd probably be revving pretty high and semi-lauching the car (especially when people decide to get right on your ass on a hill.... automatic drivers just don't understand). Well, that was a long ramble just wanted to share my experience thus far
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

I feel I should update..

I have 18K mi on the car now and rarely ever have the rev hang in first any more. OR I've gotten so used to it that I dont notice. Either way its no longer an issue. It still hangs between gears when romping on it though.. I just give a slight second extra with the clutch in to best match the next gear.

Ben; man dont worry about the stalling. I stalled mine on the test drive with the salesman in the car Talk about embarrassing. Esp for a experienced manual driver. Since then I've gotten the clutch/pedal feel down nicely. I routinely come off the line clutch engaged at no higher than 1500rpm. I've found if you blip it first as you're first letting out the clutch, then as it engages feather the throttle a little more.. its ok to slip it a little but but have to keep the rpm in check.. then off she goes. Then again its harder to describe in words than just doing it. You'll get there, wont take long.

hill holder.. still fun to play with but can get annoying on slight grades. Its pretty sensitive and sometimes lets loose with a jerk. As said before, I dont need it.. but it is funny to play with and even odder to get used to.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Can't say that I have any rev hang issues in my bugeye but I have a friend who owns a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. It has a significant rev hang issue. He has visited the forums for that car and some of the vendors have released an ECU flash the removes that feature. It is put there from the factory to help with gas conservation and provide a smoother feeling between shifts. I would imagine that there is a flash for the newer WRX/STI's to do the same thing.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

Poking around some more it seems bigskywrx lost his rev hang after an ecu flash? As stated in his grocery better part 2 thread. Might be worth looking into with your dealer. Think I'm going to stick with it a bit more since its meant to serve a purpose and see how I like it.
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

I was at the dealer tuesday for a basic oil change and checkup. No re-flashes available for the 2010 yet. Atleast not from subaru.

go stage I and you'll loose the rpm hang.. however if caught you'll also loose (or can loose) your driveline warranty.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast