coolest leak (coolent leak only when driving)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on coolest leak (coolent leak only when driving) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello i need some help with a coolant leak. One day I was driving and I got a sweet smell ...

Registered User BrandonPaquette's Avatar

coolest leak (coolent leak only when driving)

hello i need some help with a coolant leak.

One day I was driving and I got a sweet smell in the car, but i thought it was just the old truck ahead of me but when i pulled over to get gas i realized the car had smoke coming from the engine bay. So I opened it up and i found coolant sprayed on the front of the engine block and by the air intake box is (called back to where the car was parked and there was no coolent in the snow). The reservoir was full a couple days before but when i checked it it was at the low line but the radiator was still full. I got home refilled the reservoir, let it run for 30 min at its running temperature, could not find the leak, reved the engine could not find the leak and there was no visible leaking on the snow underneath the car in the driveway during those 30 minutes. Took it for a 15 mintute test drive and coolent was then sprayed again on the front of the engine and where the air box is. The reservoir was at low again but the radiator was full still. From what I saw it seems this is only happening when the coolent is under pressure. Could anyone help me locate where the coolant may be coming from. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what car is it?
    any chance its coming out the rad cap?
    maybe boiling over or worse a tiny head gasket leak that only leaks when under load
    hope i'm wrong

-Alex

Its a 2002 subaru wrx. no its not the rad cap after the frist ime i cleaned up all the coolant. the second time there was no coolant where the cap is. but if it was the head gasket why is front of the engine bay covered in coolant. i will try and get some pic up tomorrow of the bay with the coolant.

well with h.g. leaks the coolant system gets overpressurized so it could be spewing out the rad cap onto the front of the eng when the pressure gets to be great enough...

but ya pics would help

-Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPaquette View Post
    why is front of the engine bay covered in coolant.
    A radiator seam or upper hose may be leaking. Pressure test the system and if you cannot find a leak when doing so, try wiggling the top hose and see if that generates a leak. Both are common failures.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    try wiggling the top hose and see if that generates a leak.
    This.

Sounds exactly like when the top tank on my radiator cracked right under the top hose. It was a pain to find at first because it was in a hard place to see and didn't want to leak when the car wasn't moving. Easy fix, just order an aluminum rad online. They can be had on ebay for cheaper than a stock replacement.

You can find a million threads about this. Very common problem and very likely considering it's an '02. This happened to my '02 this year too.

Good luck, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

well i found the leak today it was the radiator, cracked right under the top hose. T.J. was right looking at tit the frist time could find it but when i was driving it would spray out but today after the second test drive it must have gotten bigger after the coolant heated up you copuld see it bubbling out of the plastic top of the rap

Thank you guys for all the help

anyone know if there is a good aftermarket rad that is all aluminum no plastic top for the 2002 wrx

Good to here.

People around here seem to be fond of the Mishimoto brand radiator.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

replacing my rad i was look to buy one of these and i was hope that you could help me pick one out

Racing Radiators Subaru WRX 2002 Yonaka Racing Radiator with Fan and Shroud - WRX 01-07

or
    Racing Radiators Subaru WRX 2002 Mishimoto Racing Radiator - WRX/WRX STI 2001-2007

any help wpuld be great thank you

I Support ClubWRX
    mishimoto

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

why would you pick mishimoto ?

ok so i picked the Mishimoto and installed it working great install was only 1 hour to remove and replace.

Hey, at least its not a head gasket!
    '03 WRX (Blue) COBB AP Stage 2 SPT Intake TBE
    Blitz BOV / 17" Enkie RSV's (Gold)
    ProDrive Coilovers and much more to come...

lol i know but know im have MAF problem Well i think its Maf
    going to find out to night after work

maf problems are always fun to figure out, whats happening?
    good luck

-Alex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast