coolest leak (coolent leak only when driving) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on coolest leak (coolent leak only when driving) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the car sometime has a hard time start or it stall and when its idle it a little rough and ...

Registered User BrandonPaquette's Avatar
    the car sometime has a hard time start or it stall and when its idle it a little rough and only at 500 rpm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

any engine light?
    how does the car run above idle? as in when you're driving down the road normally?
    if its just a rough idle/low idle/stalling when off gas it could be related to the iac, the maf would usually cause the car to run poorly at more than just idle

-Alex

ya i got a p0171 (bank one to lean) when driving the car is ok. when driving on the high gas milage is good but city with stop go driving the milage is bad. i donot think its the IAC i had the code about 2 month agian and i clean it and fixed the problem.

oo and if i unplug the MAF the car starts great

have you pulled your maf to see if its dirty? or have you cleaned it already? its possible its just dirty..
    have you checked your intake piping? between the maf and throttle body (probably before the turbo)
    any kind of leak in this piping can cause un metered air to enter, basically theres more air going in than the maf is measuring therefore causing a lean condition, this can also cause rough idling and stalling... come to think of it your symptoms sound like the exact same ones i had when my intake manifold gasket was leaking in my old legacy....
    i know people have had problems with the pipe that bolts on to the turbo under the intake splitting at the clamp...
    meticulously check all intake piping from the maf all the way to the throttlebody and if youre sure everything is ok check you throttle body gasket/iac gasket/intake gasket/vacuum lines etc..
    -Alex

by unplugging the maf most of the time cars will go into a pre determined fuel map, basically just looking at engine rpm/temperature/load/o2 etc.. and therefore any leak in intake piping will have no effect on how the car runs cause the maf is being ignored
    -Alex

ya i cleaned the MAF and the gasket/iac is new. i have a vacuum/boost gauge and the vacuum is runnung at the same are before -20 do you know a way i can test the MAF

your vacuum wouldnt change unless you had a vacuum leak after the throttle body so all piping between the maf and the throttle body could still be your issue (after maf hose, turbo inlet hose, y pipe, intercooler, throttlebody coupler)

i'm not sure of a way to test the maf sorry
    either way i would start with checking the intake piping

-Alex

ok i will do that tomorrow and post

ok i looked over all the hoses all good. i know its not the 02 because i have a air/fuel gauge and its read lean most of the time. still donot know if it is MAF but im thinking i might have dirty fuel injector so i got some stuff to clean them and i will see if it works or not.

ok so i thought that i fix everything but i got the code taday after putting 60 km and and start the car 10 -15 time the p0171 system too lean (bank 1) but i did fix the low rmp at idle with injetor cleaner i donot know to fix this
    Brandon Paquette

you could try to change the front o2 sensor
    although in my experiences that code means intake leak a reeally big majority of the time, i still think there is air going in somehow after the maf...
    had a ford van in yesterday with that code and it turned out to be the plastic intake cracked
    did you check the intake gaskets? my old legacy blew one out once, spray carb cleaner around the base of the intake and listen to see if the rpm drops

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

if you had a vaccum leak would the car run rough
    Brandon Paquette

not always, although most of the time yes
    with my legacy i had noticed it having problems a good couple months before solving it.. at first the idle and running was smooth as silk but there was air noise and power was down a bit (most likely due to running lean)... as time progressed i started having cold idle issues that seemed to go away warm adn the car just wasnt running smoothly anymore... eventually it got to a point where the car wouldnt idle unless i set it up to 1000rpm so i then smartened up and looked around until i discovered a torn intake gasket

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

ok i donot think it a vacuum leak because i donot have Too fast an idle speed im sitting at 750 rpm at idle, A rough idle or stalling, Hesitation or misfiring when accelerating,
    Brandon Paquette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast