PreTurbo Exhaust leak...What are the symptoms?

This is a discussion on PreTurbo Exhaust leak...What are the symptoms? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im pretty sure I have an exhaust leak Around the airbox area. If this is the case is it affecting ...

PreTurbo Exhaust leak...What are the symptoms?

Im pretty sure I have an exhaust leak Around the airbox area. If this is the case is it affecting my spool up? Ive noticed a loss in boost recently since discovering the leak.
    '03 WRX (Blue) COBB AP Stage 2 SPT Intake TBE
    Blitz BOV / 17" Enkie RSV's (Gold)
    ProDrive Coilovers and much more to come...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Loss of boost,funky idle,"screaching" under wot. The screaching is due to the leak becoming whistle-like to the back pressure of the turbo. Generaly with the car idling you can jack up the car a little and run your hand (without touching) around the area. You should be able to feel the leak blowing onto your hand. Or just jack up the car cold and off,look for carbon build up on the outside of the exhaust joints. This will indicate where the leak is.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Exhaust leak or intake leak? If you have an exhaust leak in the header or up pipe that could potentially effect spool up a tad however unless you have replaced or had either the header or up pipe off the vehicle, Its somewhat rare to see an exhaust leak at those locations (at least from the hundreds of boxer turbo's Ive worked on)...What mods are done to the vehicle? How many miles are on the vehicle?

Nearly a Solid Stock car. It has a Blitz BOV. Its not a intake leak. I know how to check for that( The old Spray Carb Cleaner around the gaskets trick). Im about 95% positive about the exhaust leak. Sounds to me like it may be coming from the Up Pipe area, Below the Air Box. I havent been able to locate it so far. I will pull the heat sheilds in a couple of days to make sure if I have too. My main concern was the Turbo performance. As far as repairing the leak, no problem. I will be replacing the Timing Belt and crap soon. So Ill be tearing into that as well while Im at it. Any opinions on Headers? Brand? Pointers or Advice?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by W甔a行iction View Post
    Nearly a Solid Stock car. It has a Blitz BOV. Its not a intake leak. I know how to check for that( The old Spray Carb Cleaner around the gaskets trick). Im about 95% positive about the exhaust leak. Sounds to me like it may be coming from the Up Pipe area, Below the Air Box. I havent been able to locate it so far. I will pull the heat sheilds in a couple of days to make sure if I have too. My main concern was the Turbo performance. As far as repairing the leak, no problem. I will be replacing the Timing Belt and crap soon. So Ill be tearing into that as well while Im at it. Any opinions on Headers? Brand? Pointers or Advice?
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks Matey!

Ive just found a leak at the first join after the turbo on mine. The reason i found it is because mine is smoking on start up and i think the turbo is on its way out. Had a feel around that join and there is a deffinate blow. My car has also got low boost and eratic idle. Ive just got the car knowing it needs some work so it will be going in for whatever it needs next week.