Burning oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Burning oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so the last couple times i went go get my oil changed, the service guy says that i had no ...

Burning oil

so the last couple times i went go get my oil changed, the service guy says that i had no measurable amount of oil. Since i have no leaks, I am almost certain my car is burning oil. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am using mobile 1 5w-30, do you think i should switch to a 10w-40 or something even thicker?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought my 2004 WRX new ... after 5.5+ years, 49k+ miles using only Mobil 1 5W-30 I cannot detect any measurable amount of oil consumption.

Do your own oil changes.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i know that my 99 wrx has a slight oil leak which i have been told is from the cam seals, it drips onto the exhaust and burns off but that is only under hard boost or highway driving, although i dont really even see a drop in the oil level at all.
    1999 WRX Wagon
    STI bits

I Support ClubWRX
    Some cars eat oil,some don't. Sometimes switching toa 5w-40 helps or just a different oil period. I used to burn some oil on 5w-30 Mobil and leak at the seals. Switched to 5w-30 Castor oil and burned less and stopped leaking. Also you could try getting a compression test. Poor compression would = lots of oil blowby.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.