Mass Air Flow sensor problem I think?

This is a discussion on Mass Air Flow sensor problem I think? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my wrx a few months ago, and I went to clean the air filter and I noticed the ...

Mass Air Flow sensor problem I think?

I bought my wrx a few months ago, and I went to clean the air filter and I noticed the previouse owners cut a hole in the top of the filter. NO FILTRATION WHATSOEVER!!! So I replaced the filter, then my check engine light came on and the car ran like pooh! So I unplugged the MAF sensor and it ran great, better than it has ever ran! So I cleaned the MAF with some multi-purpose auto parts cleaner. plugged it in and still the same problem. (I was wondering if I needed to reset my ECU?) I dont have money for a new MAF $130 and I am going home for new years its a 750 mile car ride. Would it be OK to make the drive with the MAF unplugged?

ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately you may have damaged your maf cleaning it with the cleaner you used. Yes it would be bad to drive with the maf unplugged, if it even ran at all.

Best suggestion is to turn the key on but dont start the car, turn off all electronics inside the car stereo, lights, everything...

Unhook the positive battery cable for a few moments, wait a minute or two.

Hook it back up

Start the car and dont even hit the gas, brake nothing just let it idle and do its thing for about 10 minutes, with all electronics off. After 10 minutes if the CEL hasnt came back on take it out for a nice drive. Hopefully it doesnt return.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks I will deffinatly try it, I was told I might need to reset the ECU? Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Unfortunately you may have damaged your maf cleaning it with the cleaner you used. Yes it would be bad to drive with the maf unplugged, if it even ran at all.

Best suggestion is to turn the key on but dont start the car, turn off all electronics inside the car stereo, lights, everything...

Unhook the positive battery cable for a few moments, wait a minute or two.

Hook it back up

Start the car and dont even hit the gas, brake nothing just let it idle and do its thing for about 10 minutes, with all electronics off. After 10 minutes if the CEL hasnt came back on take it out for a nice drive. Hopefully it doesnt return.

I Support ClubWRX
    What I told you to do, is reseting the ecu.

OK, so I need to plug the MAF back in and then do what U said? Sorry I just want to make sure...
    What I told you to do, is reseting the ecu.

I Support ClubWRX
    Everything needs to be plugged in.

k, I used this stuff to clean the MAF. Valucraft/10 oz. brake parts cleaner low VOC Part Number:VC-1ULV And what kind of damage can be caused if I do drive with it unplugged?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerembo47 View Post
    k, I used this stuff to clean the MAF. Valucraft/10 oz. brake parts cleaner low VOC Part Number:VC-1ULV And what kind of damage can be caused if I do drive with it unplugged?
    Hopefully that brake cleaner is non-chlorinated, otherwise you may have damaged the MAF permanently. For future reference when cleaning any MAF sensor, either use electrical contact cleaner, or specifically designed MAF cleaner. And remember to NEVER touch the wire.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    incorrect a/f ratios resulting in lean/rich mixtures which could cause catalytic deterioration. Could cause lower end damage, number of things.

Hey, thanks for the info on the MAF sensor, I reset the ECU like U told me and it runs great now. But I noticed a weird rattling sound just now, sounds like the exhaust. Could this be from driving with the MAF unplugged?

incorrect a/f ratios resulting in lean/rich mixtures which could cause catalytic deterioration. Could cause lower end damage, number of things.

I Support ClubWRX
    Could this be from driving with the MAF unplugged?
    How is this going to effect your exhaust............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S