boost leak, boost solenoid, Something else?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on boost leak, boost solenoid, Something else? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did a pressure check and could not find and leaks in my system. I have a 2003 wrx with ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

Question boost leak, boost solenoid, Something else?

I did a pressure check and could not find and leaks in my system. I have a 2003 wrx with an aftermarket turbo inlet hose and a turbosmart bov, which i will be removing in the morning. I only run .05 Mpa, or 7.25 psi. Could this be a solenoid, or something else?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If the car has always run this boost then you are probably missing the pill in the vacuum line on the compressor. If the car just started doing this recently and you have a CEL then you need to pull the code. The car/ECU is unhappy and has the ability to run wastegate pressure to save the motor. If no CEL then it could be the solenoid,boost leak or preturbo exhaust leak.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    when i first bought the car it had no pill, then i took it to super rupair and they put one in for me. Before the pill i was hitting 14 psi, now i only get 7.25 psi. I also have no CEL's. And i did a boost leak test last night and coudnt find any, how do i know if its a boost solenoid or a preturbo exhaust leak?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    when i first bought the car it had no pill, then i took it to super rupair and they put one in for me. Before the pill i was hitting 14 psi, now i only get 7.25 psi.
    So are you saying once you put the pill in the boost went down? Did you buy the car modded? List every single performance mod. If you bought the car modded and don't know what exactly has been done to it then it's going to be hard to help you.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    So are you saying once you put the pill in the boost went down? Did you buy the car modded? List every single performance mod. If you bought the car modded and don't know what exactly has been done to it then it's going to be hard to help you.
    When i bought the car it had a hks mega flow intake and a catback exhaust, made by hks i think, but am not sure, and a lamco boost gauge. A carbon fiber hood to, but that doesnt mean anything.

I just put the stock bov back in and the pressure for the boost feels better, but my guage still only says 7.25 psi. Could the restrictor pill be the wrong type or size or anything like that?
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 12-23-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: update
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Unhappy i have exaust leak before the turbo where the o2 censor goest

and i have just 5psi and idont have any vacuum leak so is posible that causinme the problem because when my turbo boost start workin the car start to feel like loose the power and dont go any faster can some one helpme aneed to fix da and i dont have any other clue of whats going on

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    and i have just 5psi and idont have any vacuum leak so is posible that causinme the problem because when my turbo boost start workin the car start to feel like loose the power and dont go any faster can some one helpme aneed to fix da and i dont have any other clue of whats going on
    . Engrish.......
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Agree with donkey! But thanks for searching. Yes if you have a pre-turbo leak you won't get full boost. Get that fixed, pre-turbo leaks are bad
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Someone else with the same problem has posted a thread.

It seems to me that the wastegate solenoid controller(stock boost controller) is at fault. My car has been doing the same thing 7 psi at max boost. I have changed all my vacuum hoses and i checked for the pill which was in the car. I even tried spraying some lubricant in the wastegate just in case the spring was stuck. It seems to me that my wastegate controller is at fault but i have no clue on how to test it( can we just use a DMM and test for continuity?). My presumption is that this part is giving out. If you find something out let me know. :-)

-Sal
    Last edited by Salica; 05-02-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: duhhh winning

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a 12volt unit and can be tested by either placing the car in diagnostic mode or attaching test leads to the solenoid and energizing it straight from the battery. You should here it clicking/actuating.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

testing Wastegate solenoid valve

Could i just disconnect the vacuum hose that flows to the wastegate and turn the car on? if there is no air passing by does that mean the wastegate solenoid valve is closed and therefore not working? if air is passing by at idle then maybe i could rev the car and see if the controller closes early(knock sensor)?

Does this sound like a viable way to test the wastegate solenoid valve(controller)?

-sal

I Support ClubWRX
    The air is coming from the wastegate line so disconnecting it would not help you diagnosis the problem. The solenoid is normally closed. It is set up to bleed off air by the ECU using a varying duty cycle that is done by rpm vs throttle position. What does the knock sensor have to do with this? Not sure what was wrong with the ways I suggested......
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

You are right there is nothing wrong with what you had suggested. I had an idea that would keep me from doing any electrical work. I was also mentioning the knock sensor because i read on different site that if the engine is knocking the solenoid valve will bleed off the air earlier to protect the engine.

Either way i just bypassed the solenoid valve to see if the car would boost past .05 Mpa and it did so i have now narrowed down the problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just kind of an update on Yamaha's situation... just in case someone else searches and finds this and has the same problem. (7psi boost, and no check engine light)

If you purchased the car and are unsure of the modification history of the car... before you pay someone to fix it, pull the tune. If a person had previously had a Manual Boost Controller installed, or an aftermarket electronic boost controller (not a boost control solenoid) then the Wastegate Duty Cycle will have been set to 0. This was the case in Yamaha's situation. A simple tune fixed his problem.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sinister is correct! Damn people who can retune their cars before selling it, just to screw the next person over.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.