boost leak, boost solenoid, Something else? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on boost leak, boost solenoid, Something else? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; K so i got the used stock wastegate solenoid valve and the car still did not boost past .05 Mpa ...

crappers

K so i got the used stock wastegate solenoid valve and the car still did not boost past .05 Mpa approx 7 psi. Is there a fuse that connects to the wastegate solenoid valve?? im gonna test it tomorrow to see if its giving off the 12volts by connecting a multimeter to the wastegate plug.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You have the pill in the correct vacuum line?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Correct I do have the pill in the car and there is no vacuum leak.

I have narowed it down but im not to keen on how the 12V is applied to the Wastegate solenoid valve. The valve works, i tested it using a 12V battery and i actually heard it open the valve and when i removed the voltage it closed again.

I went ahead and tested the connector and found that there was power on the + side but the ground was non-existent. Im not sure if the ECU has a switch that enables or disables the ground. Either way my ground is not working. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Im going to look through the mess of wires and see if it has been compromised( cut, pierced) other than that im really not sure what to do.....

on top of that my alternator just started whining so it looks like i need to replace the alternator too.... sigh....

I Support ClubWRX
    The ECU controls the ground. At idle the solenoid is not energized. Generally the ECU on the stock ROM will not energize the BCS until the engine rpms are over 2000 and the throttle postion is at or greater than 24%. The pill also has to be in the line that goes in between the compressor nipple and the vacuum T.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the correct pill? I know it may sound dumb, but the pill sizes are different for the different years.

Are you sure you are not running wastegate pressure, wrong tune on the ecu?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

It must be the correct pill because it was working before then one day i just lost half my turbo boost.

K with the new info i can see that everything seems fine and this narrows my search down to the negative wire(on the wastegate solenoid valve), im not sure how i can check the ECU so i will be looking for a broken wire that leads to the ECU.

or

Possibly the mechanism that sends the rpm signal and the throttle position maybe. Does this mechanism use a fuse?

thanks for all the help so far guys! I am close to figuring this out and i am definitely learning a ton about the WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Salica View Post
    Possibly the mechanism that sends the rpm signal and the throttle position maybe. Does this mechanism use a fuse?

thanks for all the help so far guys! I am close to figuring this out and i am definitely learning a ton about the WRX.
    If you did not have an rpm signal or throttle position your car would have DTC's for this,your tachometer would not work and your car would not run. No fuses as they are both 5v sensors that are powered by the ECU. Have you not tried putting the car in diagnostic mode like I suggested earlier? The ECU should cycle the BCS.
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-17-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well Mr. Donkey,

It seems like putting my car in diagnostic fixed my problem. Thank you for your suggestion.

Why does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Salica View Post
    Well Mr. Donkey,

It seems like putting my car in diagnostic fixed my problem. Thank you for your suggestion.

Why does this happen?
    Sorry for bringing this back up, but I'm starting to have similar issues with my08 XT... It won't boost past 6psi with no leaks pre or post turbo.. I ran the diagnostic and no CEL come up and the solenoid is clicking... My odometer is at 58k and the only addition I have are a green drop in filter and a boost gauge... Salica I know you swapped out the solenoid might mine still be bad although it still clicks under diagnostic? At 6psi my boost drops and my rpms jump up and it feels like I losing power and not holding boost...
    http://www.maperformance.com: Modern Automotive Performance: Your source for WRX and STi performance parts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12