Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX running too cold?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  EvoEatr 
#1 ·
So a couple weeks ago my car (02 wrx) started to overheat and started leaking radiator fluid. Found out that radiator went bad so had it replaced along with my t-stat. After I had it all replaced I noticed that it takes alot longer to warm up and that when I coast down the highway, when I say coast I mean im not giving it any gas at all, the gauge goes down to the "C". I took it back to the shop they went through it all and couldnt find anything except that the bottom radiator hose is cold when at running temp. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Isnt it bad to have a car running to cold?

#3 ·
+1^...Also make sure they use and OEM thermostat....I've said it before and I will say it again..Subarus are extremely touchy with certain aftermarket components...ignition parts, thermostats, and axles to name a few....Also sometimes these cars are a B**** to get all the air out of so make absolutely sure they bled the entire system properly...Do the fans cycle on and off?

#10 ·
CRAP!!! I just install a napa thermostat... How do I bleed the system and could the air in the system prevent my heat from working properly? sometimes it's nice and warm and sometimes is cold.

THANKS!

#4 ·
yes they replaced it with a oem one the first time and they replaced the t-stat again and its still running cold. Some how air is getting into the system, Maybe a head gasket im thinking :(

#5 ·
That's a rather radical assumption for just a simple underheating issue. Check all of your hose connections and your radiator cap and resevoir make sure everything is secure and tight. Replace with known good thermostat and try again.

#6 ·
thanks for the responses so far. So Ive checked everything, theres no leaks, im not losing coolant, t-stat is working perfect, nothing wrong with the cooling system just getting air into the system. Why would a lot of air be getting into the system. That what leads me to think that air is seeping from the combustion chamber when under heavy compression like down shifting and stuff but idk i havent done any compression checks or anything. again thanks for the help.

#8 ·
ok well im not too familiar with these cars, but yeah the fans are turning on as normal. It was bled at the shop and then I had to bleed it again a couple of days later with about a good 15 mins straight of air bubbles coming up then about a week later when I had time to take it back to the shop they said that there was alot of air in the system again.

#9 ·
Take it to a shop that knows Subies. I seriously doubt you have blown a head gasket. One your exhaust would be white and smell like pancake syrup and you would have oil that looked like yoohoo. Not to mention they could easily run a gas analysis test on the radiator fluid. Air usually causes overheating. I would test your coolant temp sensor and check its connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.