WRX running too cold?

This is a discussion on WRX running too cold? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So a couple weeks ago my car (02 wrx) started to overheat and started leaking radiator fluid. Found out that ...

WRX running too cold?

So a couple weeks ago my car (02 wrx) started to overheat and started leaking radiator fluid. Found out that radiator went bad so had it replaced along with my t-stat. After I had it all replaced I noticed that it takes alot longer to warm up and that when I coast down the highway, when I say coast I mean im not giving it any gas at all, the gauge goes down to the "C". I took it back to the shop they went through it all and couldnt find anything except that the bottom radiator hose is cold when at running temp. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Isnt it bad to have a car running to cold?
    1983 chevy c10 - ~400 hp, fully restored- sold
    2004 Suzuki Sv650s - sold, but soon I will get another bike.
    2002 WRX - Stage 2

my facebook

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did they put a new thermostat in or just replace the housing without a thermostat?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1^...Also make sure they use and OEM thermostat....I've said it before and I will say it again..Subarus are extremely touchy with certain aftermarket components...ignition parts, thermostats, and axles to name a few....Also sometimes these cars are a B**** to get all the air out of so make absolutely sure they bled the entire system properly...Do the fans cycle on and off?

yes they replaced it with a oem one the first time and they replaced the t-stat again and its still running cold. Some how air is getting into the system, Maybe a head gasket im thinking
    2002 WRX - Stage 2

my facebook

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by strobel5 View Post
    yes they replaced it with a oem one the first time and they replaced the t-stat again and its still running cold. Some how air is getting into the system, Maybe a head gasket im thinking
    That's a rather radical assumption for just a simple underheating issue. Check all of your hose connections and your radiator cap and resevoir make sure everything is secure and tight. Replace with known good thermostat and try again.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

thanks for the responses so far. So Ive checked everything, theres no leaks, im not losing coolant, t-stat is working perfect, nothing wrong with the cooling system just getting air into the system. Why would a lot of air be getting into the system. That what leads me to think that air is seeping from the combustion chamber when under heavy compression like down shifting and stuff but idk i havent done any compression checks or anything. again thanks for the help.
    2002 WRX - Stage 2

my facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    That's a rather radical assumption for just a simple underheating issue. Check all of your hose connections and your radiator cap and resevoir make sure everything is secure and tight. Replace with known good thermostat and try again.
    +1^..

To the OP: Air gets in the system when you disconnect things like the lower hose/t stat housing to install a new thermostat and when reinstalled it isnt properly bled of air... So the fans ARE cycling on and off and when they do they are blowing hot air? Not saying its not a HG...but I will say this it is somewhat rare for the turbo Subies to pop these...this was most common on the DOHC N/A EJ's back from 96-99 and the SOHC N/A EJ's from 00-04...How many miles are on your vehicle?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 12-23-2009 at 02:48 AM.

ok well im not too familiar with these cars, but yeah the fans are turning on as normal. It was bled at the shop and then I had to bleed it again a couple of days later with about a good 15 mins straight of air bubbles coming up then about a week later when I had time to take it back to the shop they said that there was alot of air in the system again.
    2002 WRX - Stage 2

my facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it to a shop that knows Subies. I seriously doubt you have blown a head gasket. One your exhaust would be white and smell like pancake syrup and you would have oil that looked like yoohoo. Not to mention they could easily run a gas analysis test on the radiator fluid. Air usually causes overheating. I would test your coolant temp sensor and check its connection.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    +1^...Also make sure they use and OEM thermostat....I've said it before and I will say it again..Subarus are extremely touchy with certain aftermarket components...ignition parts, thermostats, and axles to name a few....Also sometimes these cars are a B**** to get all the air out of so make absolutely sure they bled the entire system properly...Do the fans cycle on and off?
    CRAP!!! I just install a napa thermostat... How do I bleed the system and could the air in the system prevent my heat from working properly? sometimes it's nice and warm and sometimes is cold.

THANKS!
    "Take time to ponder which things you are most grateful for and which things are of greatest need in your life"

Quote Originally Posted by sudaka View Post
    CRAP!!! I just install a napa thermostat... How do I bleed the system and could the air in the system prevent my heat from working properly? sometimes it's nice and warm and sometimes is cold.

THANKS!
    Hey yeah you dont want to use anything but oem t-stats but you might be fine. To bleed the system just open up your reservoir tank and run you car till it get to running temp, you should see bubbles coming out if there is air in the system, also squeeze the radiator hose sometime there is some air in there.
    2002 WRX - Stage 2

my facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sudaka View Post

THANKS!

Ive had the OEM and NAPA thermostats side by side before and they even look like drastically different...Anyways run your car as mentioned and personally I usually wait for the fans to cycle on and off and when they do make sure they blow hot air...What year is your vehicle...on the newer models (05+ ?) I believe they installed the heater core higher in the dash so they have a real nick for developing air pockets easier...Either way If the fans dont cycle or blow cold air or the lower hose is cold (most likely air pocket) shut off the car for a couple minutes than restart..sometimes the air will make its way out of the system, or if that doesnt work give it a quick blip of the throttle up to maybe 5k and sometimes thats enough to force the air pocket out...But the answer to your question is YES an air pocket can prevent the heat from working all the time...