09 WRX Spun Bearing Response from Subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Spun Bearing Response from Subaru within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My initial question to them: I have been reading on numerous forums that some2009 Subaru WRX's have been having catostrophic ...

09 WRX Spun Bearing Response from Subaru

My initial question to them:

I have been reading on numerous forums that some2009 Subaru WRX's have been having catostrophic engine failures (spun bearing in one of the rods) Is there any truth to this? Has this issue been addressed. If there is a known issue? Is it only on certain manufacture dates of the cars or certain VIN numbers? Thanks for the information.

Subaru's Repsonse:

Dear Mr. Edbauer:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and congratulations on the purchase of your 2009 WRX. I hope that you are enjoying it.

We at Subaru of America understand your concerns with the engine problems you have read about online regarding the engine in some 2009 WRX models. If you have a concern with the operation of your 2009 WRX now or in the future, please contact your Subaru dealer for a service appointment.

As a company, Subaru of America carefully monitors warranty claims and quality survey comments to watch for any trends or concerns that can lead to customer dissatisfaction. Because of the number of various web sites out there, we cannot monitor the activity in them or report on anything we may see there. The process we have established works well for us and in turn, it is helpful to our customers.

Please remember that Subaru is a small company. While the information presented at internet sites in broad, our needs are a bit more specific than what is supplied there. For example, we would need to track vehicle identification numbers (for production dates, etc.). An open public posting forum is not the best place for a customer to keep this information in the interest of safety and privacy.

Subaru is very committed to customer satisfaction. We take a very proactive position if we become aware of a concern via our tracking methods. Should you have a specific problem with your 2009 WRXe, you would first take your vehicle to an authorized Subaru dealership for technical assistance. We would also request that you call our Customer/Dealer Services Department at 1-800-782-2783 to advise us of the concern and for assistance with resolving the concern and getting your WRX back to you as quickly as possible.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you have any other concerns, please let me know.

I dont know if this helps anyone, but I figured I would post it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what one should expect the response to be. They have to cover their own ass. It'd be nice if they had some huevos and could own up to the issue
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Why are you so concerned with the issue? I mean just playing devils advocate here but they gave more information then I would expect... After all Subaru has honored all claims regarding this problem, and in fact in some cases extended the drivetrain warranty for the vehicle. The problem has been identified and fixed.

Whats the build date of your WRX? is it even in the batch that had the bearing issue? Unfortunately when you read about a problem on line you do exactly that, read about the problem. People who have no issues dont post hey I have no issues with my wrx... People tend to only post when they have a problem. This can lead to making the problem seem bigger then it actually is.

Yes during certain build dates bad batches where sent out. It was an engineering mistake with the silver bearings used to make the cars more "green" and the crank shaft. This was a problem and Subaru fixed it. They are also doing what they can to help those who unfortunately had the problem and make them confident in the auto.

All im saying is even if you do have an unfortunate incident with a spun bearing that is something Subaru will take of for you and you may even end up with a better extended warranty out of it.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Wrinklechops
    I would hope the 09 models aren't having this problem with bearings as I know a few other previous model years had them as well. Not sure if it was specific to any one year or series of years though. I know my 05 had this happen to it 3 times. Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Also know some 02s/03s had this problem too, and a select handful of 07 STi's if I recall from my research.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Why are you so concerned with the issue? I mean just playing devils advocate here but they gave more information then I would expect... After all Subaru has honored all claims regarding this problem, and in fact in some cases extended the drivetrain warranty for the vehicle. The problem has been identified and fixed.

Whats the build date of your WRX? is it even in the batch that had the bearing issue? Unfortunately when you read about a problem on line you do exactly that, read about the problem. People who have no issues dont post hey I have no issues with my wrx... People tend to only post when they have a problem. This can lead to making the problem seem bigger then it actually is.

Yes during certain build dates bad batches where sent out. It was an engineering mistake with the silver bearings used to make the cars more "green" and the crank shaft. This was a problem and Subaru fixed it. They are also doing what they can to help those who unfortunately had the problem and make them confident in the auto.

All im saying is even if you do have an unfortunate incident with a spun bearing that is something Subaru will take of for you and you may even end up with a better extended warranty out of it.
    I am not that concerned about my car specifically. I was just writing them a question, and I do realize that if it does happen its under warranty. Never hurts to ask questions.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I love how it takes six paragraphs to answer not even one of your questions.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post

What makes you think subaru will take care of this issue for him? It is up to them to decide that. I have personally had numerous issues with warranty on my first subaru (2005 wrx/sti) At the time I was a certified technician, so I knew what my particular dealer covered and what we would not cover. For instance at a little over 1500 miles my factory spoiler broke. It was very clear that they had over tightened one of the bolts that held it on and after some time of opening and closing and being in the wind the spoiler broke. I drove the car down to the local subaru dealership and they told me flat out that the reason my spoiler broke was because of excess vibrations my cat back exhaust created. 16,000 or so miles later the shortblock had failed spun cylinder #4 rod bearring. I towed the vehicle down to the same dealership after returning the car completely to stock I was told my warranty had been previously black flagged from aftermarket modification.

This whole time from the spoiler to the motor subaru of america did nothing to help me out in the situation. I took the car to two other dealers who also would not touch the vehicle.

So Im sorry to say that just because your vehicle has a factory warranty, that does not mean that the company has to provide you with any service.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Wrinklechops
    ^^^^^ True dat!

I got very lucky when Subaru agreed to fix my spun rod bearing #4 issues 3 times in a row for basically free. Well, had they done it right the first time, they wouldn't have had to fix it 3 times but still

Should have just put a new shortblock in there to begin with they said after repair #3. They paid for my rental car that 3rd time as well after I become somewhat irate with them.

I was completely stock too. Who knows what the previous owner may have done to it though...

I guess the best advice is BUY NEW, and don't mod it until after your warranty is up! But maybe, just drive the crap out of it (don't ABUSE it necessarily) so that way if anything does break before your warranty is up, you can make sure to get it replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I guess the best advice is BUY NEW, and don't mod it until after your warranty is up! But maybe, just drive the crap out of it (don't ABUSE it necessarily) so that way if anything does break before your warranty is up, you can make sure to get it replaced
    I completely agree!

Thumbs up Harmonics and spun bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    ^^^^^ True dat!

I got very lucky when Subaru agreed to fix my spun rod bearing #4 issues 3 times in a row for basically free. Well, had they done it right the first time, they wouldn't have had to fix it 3 times but still

Should have just put a new shortblock in there to begin with they said after repair #3. They paid for my rental car that 3rd time as well after I become somewhat irate with them.

I was completely stock too. Who knows what the previous owner may have done to it though...

I've been at battle with SOA over my engine failure as well... I took it to a subaru dealer and they told me that id have to replace a wiring harness and the secondary air pump before they would consider covering the engine replacement... I had it at a different shop with the engine torn apart and they wanted me to have it put back together so they could do their own testing... I told them that they could see the engine damage as clear as day cause the engine is torn apart...lol so after many phone calls they told me to fax in my work orders from the shop and they said they'll "take a look at it"...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.