Power steering problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Power steering problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need help please. I don't have a wrx but they weren't making them in 97 so I am hoping ...

Power steering problems

I need help please. I don't have a wrx but they weren't making them in 97 so I am hoping you will let me slide...

I have had the rack and the pressure hoses recently replaced on my 97 impreza due to leakages. My steering gets tight at about 1/8 turn then eases then again at a 1/4 turn then eases. Problem diminishes after car has warmed but does not completely go away. I like to give my mechanic a place to start. Any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Thomas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was this problem present before the rack and P/S line replacement? Is the system properly bled of air ( do you hear sort of a straining sound when the steering gets tight)? Is the drive belt for the PS pump/ALT tight and in good condition? The power steering fluid is full right? How many miles are on the vehicle? Does the vehicle have its original PS pump? Also... check the rag joint/ linkage/joints on the steering shaft (the shaft coming out of the firewall that goes to the rack)..maybe give them a few squirts of WD40 or PB or something...Ive seen these get all rusted and crudded up and cause problems like this....

Thanks for the help

No, the problem didn't happen until the rack was replaced but the hoses were not replaced until a few months later. Hoses were leaking. I don't hear any noises at all but could not comment further on whether there is air in the hose. Belt was just inspected and looks good. Not sure how to measure tightness. The car has 157K with the original pump. Will check other thing when I get a chance to in the day light. I have heard about "morning sickness" but it is a new rack so I am baffled.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1997 View Post
    No, the problem didn't happen until the rack was replaced
    I think you have found your problem...Unless of course the rack was installed wrong or there is air in the system...would this rack happen to be OEM from the dealer? As mentioned also check that rag joint/joints on the steering shaft... It is extremely uncommon for another part to take a S**t in the sole time another part is being replaced, however at that mileage/age anything is possible...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 12-22-2009 at 03:45 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like you need a good ps flush to get all the air out of those lines. Either that or you got a bad rebuilt steering rack. Im sure your mechanic will know to flush it first to make sure there is no air in the system.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

thanks

Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it. Taking the car in next week b/c the cam seals are leaking. Car still drives great but I feel like the little dutch boy sticking his finger in the dam. Get one leak fixed and discover another. Will follow up on all suggestions at that time. Thanks!!!

No prob. man..Keep us informed... I'm assuming your located in the U.S....The engine you have in there is one of the best subaru engines ever made..EJ22, Extremely easy to work on also...Take a browse of this site..I'm not sure if your mechanically inclined or anything but If you would care to tackle anything yourself feel free to hit me up with a PM or make a thread and I would be more than willing to assist (not to sound arrogant)
    The End Wrench - Information for the Independent Subaru Service Professional

It was the pump

My mechanic says it was the pump. Seems odd that the rack, pressure hoses and pump would all go out around the same time. Maybe on precipitated the other? I am now due for a long time with out car issues. Still shooting for a quarter of a million miles. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1997 View Post
    My mechanic says it was the pump. Seems odd that the rack, pressure hoses and pump would all go out around the same time. Maybe on precipitated the other? I am now due for a long time with out car issues. Still shooting for a quarter of a million miles. Wish me luck.
    My 96 Legacy just hit 210,000 the other day...coincidentally it was the day i paid if off...and the drivers side front window regulator snapped..lol...now that window is held up with a carefully fabricated piece of wood and some screws until Jan 7 when the part comes in...lol..Anyways..Good Luck!

long time to respond but the mechanic put the rack on wrong. that was the problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.