Why is there a click noise under the dash??!

This is a discussion on Why is there a click noise under the dash??! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a new clutch and about 500 miles into it I have a clicking noise that happens when I ...

Why is there a click noise under the dash??!

I have a new clutch and about 500 miles into it I have a clicking noise that happens when I press the clutch in or press the brake pedal in. It has not affected any performance or anything like that. The clicking sound is not loud, but with radio and AC off, you can really hear it. Any Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hard to say... does it sound damaging or just a normal mechanical sound (ie, one part interacting with another)?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

no, it doesn't sound damaging...like a mechanical sound, like 2 plastic pieces passing each other. I seems like I can feel it happening when I press the clutch in and apply the brake. It only happens once each application though...for instance, when I shift from one gear to another, the click sound happens when I shift, but if I hold the clutch in and shift to another gear (like deciding mid shift to down shift) it will not happen. It very odd, I'm stumped. It's difficult to describe the sound...almost like when you crack a kunckle or knee when you squat, or when you "crack" your neck. But a soft crack.

I Support ClubWRX
    Both pedals do have switches on them. Starter safety switch on the clutch and brakelight switch on the brake. Your probably hearing the relay those switches control.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Does that mean they are wearing out or is there nothing to worry about?

Well, it's not indicative of an impending failure/problem so I would just turn the radio up
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Thanks...radio it is!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Both pedals do have switches on them. Starter safety switch on the clutch and brakelight switch on the brake. Your probably hearing the relay those switches control.
    +1
    I find the relays in my Subie to be on the loud side compared to my other cars. The one that pulls in when I turn on my headlights has been extra loud in both of my WRX's.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    +1
    I find the relays in my Subie to be on the loud side compared to my other cars. The one that pulls in when I turn on my headlights has been extra loud in both of my WRX's.
    Yup, annoyingly loud. Although I guess it makes it easy to determine when your relay isn't working.
    Last edited by mudferret; 12-21-2009 at 07:12 AM.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

kjb
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I get that too when I press in the clutch from full release, but if I hold it in halfway its fine. I don't think I've ever had it happen with the brake pedal. It's like a plastic mechanical click. It doesn't happen all the time, and I think I notice it more in the summer but really can't say. I tried looking to see if anything was interfering and finally gave up. I have an '02 with about 86k on it, and I think I've noticed it intermittently for at least the last 2-3 years.

Speak of the devil; recalled responding to this thread.

I recently began noticing how annoyingly loud the switch on the clutch pedal is the other day. Perhaps I didn't notice it before? If it's a new sound I hope it's not indicative of a switch on it's way out. Looks like I'll be turning my radio up as well.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I've noticed this as well on my 07.

The clutch from fully disengaged to engaged has a slight click at the top 1/4 of travel.

The brake pedal has that same sounding click about 2 seconds into hard braking.

I haven't noticed any malfunction or abnormal happenings other than the noise, however.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128