Subaru WRX Forum banner

Spool Surges.... what does it mean?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mycologist 
#1 ·
Driving the vehicle into the spool range in 5th gear the boost or spool is surging. Builds boost and then off, then on, then off. Has only done it in 5th gear but today did it in 4th as well. Could this be an indication of a part starting to fail or is it tune related. I have an OTS COBB Stage II tune at 16.7psi. It has been cold here recently and I have hitting boost spikes of 18.9 or just under. Is there any connection between the spooling surges and my tune. Yes I know a pro-tune would be the best bet but money isnt there for a tune just at the moment. Plus I want to do a few more mods before the tune to maximise my investment. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
1. Catless Down ( stock Up )
2. No Cels Thrown
3. No Fuel Cut, the car will keep accelerating but spooling (or Bosst) keeps surging on and off and then levels out to normal.
4. PSI reads like 14 down to 3 or in the area and then back up to the 14 area. So on and so forth .

Thanks for any help.

#5 ·
When you say half turn in.... does this mean in torwards the firewall. I would assume that would be the inward direction and out would be torward the front of the vehicle. Thanks for the help.

#6 ·
He means remove the clip and pop it off, loosen the lock nut, then turn the head one half round tighter. It should now be harder to put back on the pin, i.e. pulling against the spring a little more. ONce you have it off the pin it would be clockwise like screwing a nut on as you are looking toward the radiator. Do not turn the arm just the head that screws on it.

#8 ·
I am interested to see where this thread goes, my 03 does the same thing a lot. I have tried adjusting the wastegate arm and have tried stock, stage 1 and stage 2 with my Cobb Accessport. I also have a catless down pipe but otherwise stock. Very aggravating issue.

#9 · (Edited)
SAME....My 04 does the same thing, usually around 5th gear, 80mph to 120 mph, WOT it will 'hesitate' or 'drag' just a bit, maybe a second or so, then accelerate hard again and repeat in another few seconds. It is not very noticeable but definitely there.

I dont have a boost gauge hooked up and dont have the AP plugged in to get a reading. I am running the same setup as the OP, Catless UP and DP, Catless exhaust, Cobb base Stage 2, 93 octane Map. I have turned my wasegate arm out 1.5 turns.

Thanks for the thread, definitely interested to see responses.

#11 · (Edited)
Unless you are first overboosting then the ECU is over compensating etc. because someone previously tightened the wastegate arm I don't see why you would loosen the wastegate spring like that. If it is too loose on the other hand, it may be blowing open at high boost more than it should. You need to be monitoring boost to run this down (it could also be pulling timing that you feel etc.)

Since there are a bunch of you reporting issues, it may be different factors. I would run it down like this - google wrx boost control system if you need to see a pic of the components:

Make sure airbox is closed correctly with the bottom two tabs in etc.

Make sure your wastegate arm is oriented correctly.

Pressure test and make sure you have no boost leaks - make sure the BPV is not dumping when it shouldn't.

CHeck all boost conrtol system vacuum lines (& verify the restrictor pill unless the vehicle history is known or it worked right before).

Adjust wastegate arm (carefully monitoring for boost spikes/overboosting).

Swap in known good boost control solenoid.

Swap in known good wastegate actuator.

Edit: If all that checks out it could be a tuning issue - in that case you might as well get a GM style BCS and get that tuned instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.