2003 WRX - Engine lugging from dead start

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX - Engine lugging from dead start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I bought a Manual 2003 WRX a few months ago. Everything has been peachy, but tonight I noticed ...

2003 WRX - Engine lugging from dead start

Hey guys,

I bought a Manual 2003 WRX a few months ago. Everything has been peachy, but tonight I noticed something.

From a dead start, the engine seems to be lugging where it didn't before. To my knowledge, my pedal control movements haven't changed, and if I'm really careful with it, I can start with no lugging, but it requires a lot more concentration and effort than it should.

I'm no car guru, but I know enough to hang. Here's what I can tell you. Fluids are fine (transmission fluid is low-ish). Not sure about the differential fluid. Brakes aren't sticking. I recently had to put regular gas in it, but right now it's running on a full tank of premium. It's cold outside.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks ahead of time,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? Are you sure this isn't the normal amount of turbo lag?

Nearly 70K miles on it. I've always been familiar with the turbo lag, which never brought the engine to the point of actual lugging, just being slow.

This is something that only recently developed. It's significant enough that I would've noticed it before; a true underperformance (versus the turbo lag, which is normal).

Does that help?

The transmission and center diff share fluid. If it's lowish, then you should figure out why.

How cold is it?

Last week my car threw a CEL because it was running too lean, due to being 15f outside.

When was the last time you changed your oil?
    YouTube - Mobil 1 TV Ep 1: Maximizing Cold Weather Engine Protection

1^..also do you have any maintence history on the vehicle? As realting to when the plugs/fluids where last changed?

I don't know about the plugs, but I took care of all the fluids (except the differential and brake) about a month ago.

Interesting development - last night, at a stand still I tried pumping the brakes a handful of times and the problem seemed to go away. So it sounds like perhaps I do have a sticky brake...