Disappearing antifreeze, maybe in the oil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Disappearing antifreeze, maybe in the oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 05 wrx, I bought it about 3 and a half months ago. It has been losing coolant ...

Disappearing antifreeze, maybe in the oil?

I have an 05 wrx, I bought it about 3 and a half months ago. It has been losing coolant slowly since I bought it, probably between half a gallon and a gallon in the last 3 months/7000 miles. Its not leaking outside the motor anywhere, and up until this point I haven't seen any in the oil. I changed my oil over the weekend and the old oil looked fine, it was black and thick considering how cold it was. After I added the new oil I let the motor idle for a few minutes and checked it again and noticed some white globs on the dipstick that looks to me like when I've seen antifreeze mixed in on other cars in the past. The thing is my oil level has never risen, it stays right at the full mark or drops just slightly between changes. I would think that if all that coolant was getting in the oil that the oil level would rise. The antifreeze looks very clean and green. I did a compression check the other day, and every cylinder averaged 120 psi. I did a coolant system pressure check today and the pressure drops somewhat slowly. I tried it again with the engine running just to see and it drops a little quicker. I am paranoid that I have a head gasket leak, I can't afford to have them replaced, I am pretty much broke and I don't know if I want to tackle it myself. Does anyone have any ideas? I've heard of some sort of dye you can put in the coolant, would I be able to see this in the oil if it made its way in there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil analysis would give you a definitive answer regarding the presence or absence of coolant in the oil. However, I find it much more likely that you have a radiator leak or a hose leak, as these are much more common after all. Also, the turbo itself can cause coolant loss so that's another possibility. I'm not saying a head gasket is impossible, I'm saying other things are more probable IMO. Keep looking, it's coming out of somewhere.

Keep in mind that the gob you saw in the oil is explainable in cold humid weather if the car has not warmed up.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-15-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm in an agreement with SD, it's much more likely that you have a hose leak than a headgasket problem with the tests you've run so far.

Do an oil change and take a look at it. If it's more milky than it is dark or oil colored, you have an internal problem, but again, I find that unlikely.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Well so much for the oil level not rising, I checked it again this morning and it was halfway up the dipstick. But there is hope, it turns out the dealer never canceled my extended warranty when I told them to almost 3 months ago, so I still have it and am now going to keep it. Hopefully everything works out but it should be covered, and it will after this it will have more than payed for itself.

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the oil look milky now? How many quarts did you put in the car?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.