Overheating problem part 2........

This is a discussion on Overheating problem part 2........ within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright guys see if anyone can help me out with this situation.....its driving me nuts I drive a 02 wrx ...

Exclamation Overheating problem part 2........

Alright guys see if anyone can help me out with this situation.....its driving me nuts
    I drive a 02 wrx w/ 140k miles (daily driven). My stock radiator appeared to be splashing out coolant all over engine bay so I replaced it with an alluminum type (new gen w/ cap on top) added coolant....... after driving it, about 8 minutes in, temp needle began to creep up slowly all the way pass the 'H'. (fyi when cranking up the heat was receiving blown air not hot) after driving it around I received a CEL code for 'engine coolant temp sensor low circuit'. So i went ahead and replaced it along with a thermostat then reset it. Drove it around, this time temp gauge needle went up to 'Hot' then 1/4 down and back up again (fyi cranked the heat up again then finally hot air... in which while on the needle dropped down a bit but eventually came back up) After a couple miles drivin, another CEL came on which read code P0125- Insufficient coolant temp for closed loop fuel control. This was last night, this morning i drove to work, and smelled a strong odor of fuel (CEL still on temp gauge went up to HOT again ) smelled like coming from engine. When i got out of work and got in, car would not start! It sounded like it wanted to but seemed like fuel was not going thru. (smelled fuel after every attempt) one time it kind of started but as soon as i hit the gas pedal, it cut off. I took the new Engine coolant temp sensor out and replaced stock one back in and she started up fine but as i drove home, once again temperature gauge rose up to 'H'

I am thinking either i have air in the system, installed thermostat wrong (which i put in the same way stock one was however they dont look alike. i kind of just let it hang in there thinking it would completley seal once it was completley screwed back on). Also its has a minor coolant leak which may be coming from thermo housing. I doubt its the head gasket as its not shooting out white smoke from exhaust and the oil from dipstick looks like straight oil......... Am begging for suggestions/ help!!!!!!! please this is my only means of transportation and i dont make enough to have it checked at shops and end up getting screwed, I'd rather do the work myself.........Thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had some overheating problems when i first got my 02 and i went to burp the system and noticed the rubber gasket on the radiator cap was broken and it was allowing air in the system so i replaced the cap like $12 and topped the coolant off and burped the system and fixed the problem i thought i was the thermostat too but with a little snoopin around i found the prob hope it helps man good luck with gettin it fixed this is definitely the website to find your answers

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by a&j'sblurex View Post

I am thinking either i have air in the system,
    Probably does. "Burping" the system properly is a pain. The fuel smell is another problem.

>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<<
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by a&j'sblurex View Post
    Alright guys see if anyone can help me out with this situation.....its driving me nuts
    I drive a 02 wrx w/ 140k miles (daily driven). My stock radiator appeared to be splashing out coolant all over engine bay so I replaced it with an alluminum type (new gen w/ cap on top) added coolant....... after driving it, about 8 minutes in, temp needle began to creep up slowly all the way pass the 'H'. (fyi when cranking up the heat was receiving blown air not hot) after driving it around I received a CEL code for 'engine coolant temp sensor low circuit'. So i went ahead and replaced it along with a thermostat then reset it. Drove it around, this time temp gauge needle went up to 'Hot' then 1/4 down and back up again (fyi cranked the heat up again then finally hot air... in which while on the needle dropped down a bit but eventually came back up) After a couple miles drivin, another CEL came on which read code P0125- Insufficient coolant temp for closed loop fuel control. This was last night, this morning i drove to work, and smelled a strong odor of fuel (CEL still on temp gauge went up to HOT again ) smelled like coming from engine. When i got out of work and got in, car would not start! It sounded like it wanted to but seemed like fuel was not going thru. (smelled fuel after every attempt) one time it kind of started but as soon as i hit the gas pedal, it cut off. I took the new Engine coolant temp sensor out and replaced stock one back in and she started up fine but as i drove home, once again temperature gauge rose up to 'H'

I am thinking either i have air in the system, installed thermostat wrong (which i put in the same way stock one was however they dont look alike. i kind of just let it hang in there thinking it would completley seal once it was completley screwed back on). Also its has a minor coolant leak which may be coming from thermo housing. I doubt its the head gasket as its not shooting out white smoke from exhaust and the oil from dipstick looks like straight oil......... Am begging for suggestions/ help!!!!!!! please this is my only means of transportation and i dont make enough to have it checked at shops and end up getting screwed, I'd rather do the work myself.........Thanx
    Ive had coolant temp sensor codes get thrown before due to air pockets/low coolant level....As mentioned I would definitely be properly burping the system before replacement of any other parts....I usually wait for the fans to cycle on and off and when they cycle make sure they are blowing hot air not cold air...also make sure the upper and lower hoses are both hot when the fans cycle...
    As for the fuel smell, again as mentioned...Subaru just recently issued a recall for certain regions for this problem...the recall campaign is WVK-21 and apparently covers vehicles in NOAA climate zone 1 which is 16 states..