Can't shift out of park
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Can't shift out of park within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I searched but didn't find anything. My wife's Forrester has a problem shifting the auto tranny out of park. We ...

SRM

Can't shift out of park

I searched but didn't find anything.

My wife's Forrester has a problem shifting the auto tranny out of park. We have to override it by pushing the button next to the shifter.

I think the faulty part is located in the steering column, because I can hear it clicking while attempting to move the shifter. The problem is intermittent, but getting progressively worse.

Can anyone tell me what specifically this is? I would like to replace it myself.
    Last edited by SRM; 12-11-2009 at 06:15 AM.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So you're able to turn the engine over and freely move the steering wheel correct?

Could be the brake light switch, solenoid or relay that allows the shifter to release. Also double check the fuses related to brakes or the A/T are blown.

My guess is the brake light switch
    Last edited by Ying; 12-11-2009 at 06:23 AM.

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    So you're able to turn the engine over and freely move the steering wheel correct?

Could be the brake light switch, solenoid or relay that allows the shifter to release. Also double check the fuses related to brakes or the A/T are blown.

Yes.

I'll check the fuses but as I mentioned, it doesn't happen all the time.

Can you tell me where the brake light switch and solenoid are located?

I Support ClubWRX
    The brake light switch should be under the dash above the brake pedal.

I believe the solenoid would be under the housing where the shifter is located. I'll have to check on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Could be the brake light switch, solenoid or relay...

Had the same problem on my Audi a few years back. Fortunately, that switch was adjustable via a screw.

Park where you can see your brake lights. When you can't shift out of park, are the lights on?
    Stink-Eye Mob #666

2009 WRX Sedan

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMongoose View Post
    Had the same problem on my Audi a few years back. Fortunately, that switch was adjustable via a screw.

Park where you can see your brake lights. When you can't shift out of park, are the lights on?
    Will check this out. thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.