transmission whine... Please help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on transmission whine... Please help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When my 03 wrx is decelerating is has a loud distinct whine or rumble. When i push in the clutch ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

transmission whine... Please help

When my 03 wrx is decelerating is has a loud distinct whine or rumble. When i push in the clutch it goes away and also when i hit the gas, it goes away too. The higher the rpm's are the louder the noise is. What could this problem be?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? Does it have the whine in every gear? How about if your crusing at say 50 mph when your hearing the whine and than just throw the car in neutral and coast..does the whine go away?

This happens on my '04 as well. I only hear it in the lower gears 1-3. It does coast without whine in 4th and 5th. Worn synchros? I would like to hear some more input on this as well...
    1997 Impreza Brighton
    2004 Impreza WRX
    2002 Honda 919

Drive it like you stole it!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    How many miles are on the vehicle? Does it have the whine in every gear? How about if your crusing at say 50 mph when your hearing the whine and than just throw the car in neutral and coast..does the whine go away?
    There are 115,000 miles on the engine. It whines in what i can tell 1,2,3 but maybe the road noise blocks it out in the other gears. When it is put into neutral the noise goes away. The noise only occurs when in gear and the gas is let go. As soon as the gas is pressed again, the noise goes away.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    How did what I told you to try work out?

I Support ClubWRX
    so i checked all my fluids, topped off my oil and filled my tires. The noise isnt as bad and as much. Now the only time it make the whining noise is when you let off of the clutch roughly.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    May need to rotate them too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    i will definately do that soon, but i dont think the tires are causing the noise. It seems to me like it would be something with the transmission or possibly the differential.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    i will definately do that soon, but i dont think the tires are causing the noise. It seems to me like it would be something with the transmission or possibly the differential.
    Exactly, hence the need to rotate your tires and preferably run a couple less psi in back.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I am running a little less psi in the back but I will rotate my tires asap and let you know. Could my problem be the differential low on fluid or have bad fluid? Or could it be Colorado is cold as he'll lately and this just started happening?

Well last night i drove to my friends house, which he is a mechanic, and we drove around for a little while. We came to the conclusion because the noise went away that it is because it has been super super cold in colorado for the last couple days. I will be checking the fluid in my differential asap.
    Thanks for your help though!
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 12-08-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: update
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

There are 115,000 miles on the engine. It whines in what i can tell 1,2,3 but maybe the road noise blocks it out in the other gears. When it is put into neutral the noise goes away. The noise only occurs when in gear and the gas is let go. As soon as the gas is pressed again, the noise goes away.
    If the noise is gone when your in neutral going down the road at 50 mph..but you hear it while your in gear than I would suspect something in the trans...possibly a pinion bearing or something...What mods are done to the vehicle? Is this the original 5 spd? Has the trans. had a hard life? Either way good luck with what you find...

I Support ClubWRX
    If the noise is gone when your in neutral going down the road at 50 mph..but you hear it while your in gear than I would suspect something in the trans...possibly a pinion bearing or something...What mods are done to the vehicle? Is this the original 5 spd? Has the trans. had a hard life? Either way good luck with what you find...
    I thought it was the transmission too, or the differential. No mods to the tranny, but air intake, recirc BOV, carbon fiber hood, cat back exhaust, rear end links. It is the original and i bought it used so i have no idea of its past life...

I think because it has been literally frezzing in denver, it makes the noise because the differential is cold. Last night i went for a 30 minute drive and by then, the noise was completely gone. I will check my diff fluid asap to make sure its not just low.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I thought it was the transmission too, or the differential. No mods to the tranny, but air intake, recirc BOV, carbon fiber hood, cat back exhaust, rear end links. It is the original and i bought it used so i have no idea of its past life...

I think because it has been literally frezzing in denver, it makes the noise because the differential is cold. Last night i went for a 30 minute drive and by then, the noise was completely gone. I will check my diff fluid asap to make sure its not just low.
    I suppose that would make some sense....considering the gear oil in there is basically a solid when it freezing out....

I Support ClubWRX
    I suppose that would make some sense....considering the gear oil in there is basically a solid when it freezing out....
    what do you mean, the differential fluid can freeze to a solid? or was that sarcasm?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sarcasm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.