Blown head gasket
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Blown head gasket within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I have an 02 WRX and I had just changed my oil 1 week ago and everything looked ...

Blown head gasket

Hey guys I have an 02 WRX and I had just changed my oil 1 week ago and everything looked good. Then shortly after I noticed my engine was knocking when I first started it up and then went away. I knew this could not be right so I checked the oil and what I found was so shocking. I found very little oil with white stuff on the dipstick which I know this means blown head gasket. I only have 60K on the motor and never noticed any white smoke. Was wondering if you guys have any thoughts and advice for me. Should I take to subaru? Its not that modified only a cat-back and cai. Tom wood Subaru said it would be like 3000$ to fix and I can not afford that right now. Any help or advice would be great!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have no white smoke, no indications to back up your hypothesis, than how can you be sure that your head gasket is blown.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

3000 dollars you gotta be crazy for a head gasket......

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Head gasket problems on the 2.0 have been relatively infrequent but the white stuff does sound like a problem. Are you losing or gaining coolant in the reservoir? Does the exhaust smell sweet on cold starts? Anything in the coolant?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Well I had someone take a look at it and they said there is definitely coolant in the oil. I put the full amount of oil in it last week and when I check this week there was almost nothing. And the little bit that was on the dipstick was mixed with white milky stuff. I don't think there is any other explanation than a blown head gasket am I correct?
    I didn't notice any weird smelling fumes but my exhaust seemed like usual white exhaust when it's cold. My coolant level in the reservoir has gone down signficantly but not all the way. The knocking when I started was apparently due the coolant being the oil, I'm not sure on the exact reasoning he said, but I was told not to start the motor anymore until I find the problem.
    I think the reason for the cost being 3000 is because the motor has to be taken apart and the turbo may be blown as well... but idk other than that.

And one other note I bought the car from an older guy that traded it in for a new STI. When I got the car home I found out evidence that the ECU was previously tuned. So maybe this guy just turned the boost up too much. I have had the car for a 6 months will no problems other than this of course.

One more thing I just thought of.. just trying to give as much info as possible, but I went cruising with some other subbies last weekend and ran it harder than I normally would. Anyway after the cruise I smelled raw gas. I wasn't sure who's car it was coming from but there is a possibility that it could have been mine i guess

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, the cost is all due to having to take out the motor.

How did they diagnose that it is the head gaskets and not just the coolant seals in the turbo? That would be way way way cheaper to replace.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

^^See, that's what I was saying, it doesn't sound like there is enough evidence supporting a blown head gasket to me.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

I've never actually had the car been diagnosed yet. It's sitting in my apt complex at school waiting to be towed. But tomorrow I'm having it towed to Indianapolis (my hometown) and then actually having it looked at by a professional technician. The only thing I had was a friend come over and look at it that knows way more about cars than I do, and he said that there was coolant in the oil I thought a blown head gasket was the only thing that would cause that but I guess I'm wrong.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.