best oil?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on best oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so im sure there is tons of posts out there on this subject but i would like to get ...

best oil?

Okay so im sure there is tons of posts out there on this subject but i would like to get a couple opinions. So i have a 04 wrx a with almost 60,XXX and i've been using mobil 1 full synthetic since i bought the car. The thing is i've started to dislike this oil because i find that by the time i change my oil im about a quart or two low, so what do you guys suggest?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Experiment either with other viscosities of the same brand or go to any other brand of your choice that meets the manufacturer specs, then see if the consumption is more to your liking.

To see what the oil itself is doing, get a used oil analysis after running your choice at least 3K miles.

I do not buy oil from direct marketing, mutlitier marketing, whatever marketing firms regardless of their storied history.

If you are out of warranty you might try M1 5W-40 TurboDiesel truck, Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, or M1 0W-40. All of these do not require winter/summer viscosity changes unless you are in a polar region, so you could run them year-round.

Or just find another brand that you might consume less. I think Castrol has a good 5W-40, and their imported 0W-30 is very popular also.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Seriously this topic has been covered way to much. And asking what the best oil is will yield you all kinds of different results. That is like asking "what is the best beer?" or "what is the best ice cream?". There is no single right or wrong answer. Search,research then pick something. I could easily name off 10-15 oils that would work just fine.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Mobil1 5W-30 user for over 5.5 years, 49K+ miles with no measurable oil consumption.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Search in the threads and you will find many answers to this question. People will argue which oil is better based off of their experience and opinions. Try what you think is good as long as it fits in subaru's owners manual and you should be fine.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Mobil1 5W-30 user for over 5.5 years, 49K+ miles with no measurable oil consumption.
    +1

I avoid Amsoil due to their marketing practices MLM is some low down dirty crap. Trying to convince people to sell overpriced items to their friends, family members, and co-workers always rubbed me the wrong way. Membership fees and marketing materials should not be profitable items. IMO.

Back to the topic at hand... I have used Mobil1 5w30 and occasionally Royal Purple and Eneos of the same type/viscosity.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Well i've been talking to a few of my buddy's that live here and they all had the same problem as me running the mobile 1 maybe it's the altitude? I've been told they had good luck running castrol so i might give that a try, one more question. It's really cold down here in the winter so what #'s would be the best choice?

does it get colder in NM than in NJ?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04 View Post
    It's really cold down here in the winter so what #'s would be the best choice?
    If it gets cold, look for the first number, x, as in "xW-Y" to be low. A 0W-30, for example, will tend to flow better at stone cold temperatures than a 10W-30, but both oils will have the same characteristics once the motor is warmed up. If you are seeing temps below -20C I'd use a synthetic oil and look for a 0W if out of warranty. What you're interested in is cold startups mainly, and how to keep the oil fluid and pumpable so that the motor turns over and is protected.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    does it get colder in NM than in NJ?
    well it was -2 the other night what's it like in nj?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04 View Post
    well it was -2 the other night what's it like in nj?
    -2F is below -18C. I'd not go higher than a 5W and I'd use a synthetic. I'd almost certainly use 0W-40 or 0W-30, but that's just me.

well i did my oil change today ended up trying the castrol full syn 5w-30, that was the lowest they had

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04
    well i did my oil change today ended up trying the castrol full syn 5w-30, that was the lowest they had
    I ran that for a long time. Unfortunately, WalMart upped the price on their 5qt container, so I've switched to Valvoline
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

how did you like it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by redwrx04
    how did you like it?
    I used it for multiple oil changes.

It was a cheap oil @ WalMart, and I never had an issue with that. With that said, I never had an UOA done, so I'm not sure how my engine liked it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast