Check Engine light after basic Maintenance

This is a discussion on Check Engine light after basic Maintenance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, So went about changing the gasket on the ICV, cleaning the ICV and cleaning the MAF today... The car ...

Check Engine light after basic Maintenance

Hey,

So went about changing the gasket on the ICV, cleaning the ICV and cleaning the MAF today... The car was idling a bit rough so said I would do these things to see if it helped out...

So I cleaned the MAF with a MAF spray and the ICV with the same MAF spray and some Q-tips... I had a new gasket for the ICV and went about putting everything back together...

So I disconnect the battery, reconnect it and start up the car... After about 3 seconds of idling it shows a CEL... Its idling a little high but seems fine...

I checked the 2 screws on the ICV were tight... I dont have a torque wrench or what not but they are pretty damn tight...

Any ideas? Everything else is as it should be and I see no reason for this CEL...

Also is there any codes for the CEL?? I had an old BMW with a "Brake Pedal Trick" press the brake 3 times all the way to the ground with the car not started but with the key turned so all lights etc worked... Then the CEL light would flash a certain number of times... That code would tell you if e.g. O2 sensor problem etc...

Thanks for any help... Im letting the car run for 10 mins in case its just the MAF spray in the ICV causing the problem...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get an Autozone or something to read the code. Post the code here or do a search of the code.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Get an Autozone or something to read the code. Post the code here or do a search of the code.
    Cheers for the reply... Unfortunately the Autozones and Pepboys dont do the reads anymore in California. I heard someone sued for a misdiagnosed reading... Its up on their website...

Im gona open the ICV and try reseat the gasket again... Hopefully that is it...

Thanks

Post something local and see if someone can read the code for you. Seriously if not, replace the MAF sensor with known good and post results.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    When you put the MAF back in, did you make sure the harness faces forward? This is exactly the opposite of what one would expect but it's the correct way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Post something local and see if someone can read the code for you. Seriously if not, replace the MAF sensor with known good and post results.
    Ok... so I disconnected the battery, reseated the gasket, made sure the ICV screws were tight and fired her up... Gave her a bit of gas and low and behold no CEL...

Took her on a 20 min spin after letting it idle for 10 mins to make sure no CEL came back and all is good...

Idle is a lot better and feels like the acceleration is better too...

Thanks for the replies...