I need Brake Work
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on I need Brake Work within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've never had to deal with brake issues up until now... I apparently have what I'd assume is a worn ...

  1. #1
    Registered User corybb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Posts
    240

    I need Brake Work

    I've never had to deal with brake issues up until now...

    I apparently have what I'd assume is a worn pad eating into my front drivers side rotor.

    Should I get brake work done at a brake shop (ie Midas, etc)

    Or take it to Subaru dealer?

    Or does it really not matter.

    Stock '04 WRX.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Either one..Generally dealers have more experienced more knowledgeable techs..however when it comes to brakes if your at all mechanically inclined and have the means you can prob. do them yourself...

  4. #3
    Registered User Sarra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dreadford, OR
    Posts
    215
    If you are putting decent, premium, or performance rotors on, you will not need to turn brand new rotors.

    Crappy generic parts store rotors, or even some OEM rotors, will be warped right out of the box, and may need to be turned before put on the vehicle.

    Slotted or drilled don't turn them.

    So, if you go to Napa and get the $30 a set specials, you'll need to turn them to put them on your car. If you get the $150 a rotor Brembos, then just pull the pads off, pull the brackets off, remove the rotors, put the new rotors on, put the brackets back on, put new pads in, put the caliper back on, and you're good to go.

  5. #4
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is where having a jack, some jack stands, some basic tools, and some time would help you save money.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  6. #5
    Registered User SilentRevolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    This is where having a jack, some jack stands, some basic tools, and some time would help you save money.
    or a friend with this stuff..

  7. #6
    Registered User corybb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Posts
    240
    Yeah I have a jack, jack stands, and SOME tools at home...only that home is in OHIO and I'm currently in Missouri.

    And really. Just due to the fact I've never done brake work and don't know anyone in the area to help out on it...I don't feel comfortable doing it.

  8. #7
    Registered User Sarra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dreadford, OR
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by corybb View Post
    Yeah I have a jack, jack stands, and SOME tools at home...only that home is in OHIO and I'm currently in Missouri.

    And really. Just due to the fact I've never done brake work and don't know anyone in the area to help out on it...I don't feel comfortable doing it.
    I hear you there.

    In my opinion, a torque wrench is really required to do proper brake work. I've had one of the bolts that holds a caliper mounting bracket on to the hub back out on me before. That isn't exactly FUN, it makes braking quite... Well, let's just say, I always torque my bolts to spec now.

  9. #8
    Mace Windu devilfluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    6,274
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    If you are putting decent, premium, or performance rotors on, you will not need to turn brand new rotors.

    Crappy generic parts store rotors, or even some OEM rotors, will be warped right out of the box, and may need to be turned before put on the vehicle.

    Slotted or drilled don't turn them.

    So, if you go to Napa and get the $30 a set specials, you'll need to turn them to put them on your car. If you get the $150 a rotor Brembos, then just pull the pads off, pull the brackets off, remove the rotors, put the new rotors on, put the brackets back on, put new pads in, put the caliper back on, and you're good to go.
    If a rotor is warped out of the box, it is a defect. Return it for a replacement part.

    I use the "white box" rotors regularly, and almost never have a problem. In my decade of working in the auto industry, I have returned a grand total of 1 rotor for being warped.

    I see no reason to go to a dealer for brakes, unless you like paying more money. Any competent independent or chain repair facility should be more than capable.
    Last edited by devilfluff; 12-04-2009 at 05:32 AM.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

    Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •