Halon fire extinguisher...

This is a discussion on Halon fire extinguisher... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Its my newest mod (as of 4 days ago). For the last couple of days I have been suffering from ...

Halon fire extinguisher...

Its my newest mod (as of 4 days ago).

For the last couple of days I have been suffering from a fuel leak somewhere and I cant find it. It seems to only happen when its really cold. (its an 04 WRX btw). It's coming from the engine bay, and tonight it finally got so bad when i was stopped at a light that i had to open my windows because my eyes were burning.

Say what you will about driving with such a leak, but I've been looking for this damn leak for 4 days and can't seem to find it. Its like whenever I open the hood it must stop or some other such bizzare thing. Tomorrow I'm really going to give it another hard search.

I'm guessing its an injector o-ring that's going bad, and I have a hunch its on the drivers side of the motor. The smell seems to come out of the vents and from the pedal area....weird.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    bromochlorodiflouromethane (Halon 1211) is extremely dangerous. It uses a chemical reaction to remove oxygen. You're only supposed to use it in an extremely well ventilated area, or with an air supply (ie SCBA).

It can cause extreme light headedness and nausia, a severe drop in your oxygen saturation (sp02), and hypoxia.

The biggest positive is that it's a "clean" fire fighting agent, which means it will not damage electrical equipment.

I would recommend PKP (potassium bicarbonate) over halon, but it is corrosive to soft metals and must be cleaned off well after use. It's EXTREMELY effective against fuel and electrical fires though.

If you stick with your halon, make sure doors are opened, or windows are down... it's really pretty dangerous to breath in.

It would be very good for your engine bay though... Won't ruin electrical or corrode the wiring or aluminum block. Just be careful!!!
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    For the last couple of days I have been suffering from a fuel leak somewhere and I cant find it.
    This is a known issue with a specific fix, and there is a reference thread dedicated to this issue:

>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<<

Fix the problem ASAP.

Searching for "smell" and "cold" brings up the thread.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

One thing to remember is that gasoline is dangerous when a vapor.

Around 1990, the federal government mandated tighter control over evaporative emissions. One change was to the Reid Vapor Pressure of gasoline. In 1989, the RVP of gasoline was anywhere from 10-14 PSI, now it is 2-4 PSI.

This means, when it is cool, or cold, gasoline does not evaporate as fast. I drove a car that was PISSING gasoline out of injector #2, it was literally leaving a trail you could follow, and it wasn't that much of a fire hazard. Ambient temp was 32 degrees F or lower, though. In essence, I wouldn't worry if the gasoline: 1) Isn't present in huge quantity 2) Is staying cold, even if it's peeing out 3) isn't getting close to really hot components, such as the turbo, exhaust, or any kind of electrical components such as solenoids, starter, alternator, etc.

Anyway, it sounds like it could be a problem in one of two system: The EVAP system, or the fuel delivery system/return system.

The EVAP system is monitored for leaks, however, it may not be checked as often, so I do not know specifically if it would set a code or not. Under hood, the EVAP line is the rubber fuel hose that goes past the fuel filter that doesn't have a damper on it, it connects to the top hard line at the top driver side of the intake manifold (at least it did on my 02). Check to make sure there are no holes.

It runs under the IM to the rats next of vacuum hoses, where it goes to the turbo inlet, and intake manifold, through a solenoid. You can check there, might be a PITA.

Most likely place you're leaking is the injector seals, where the injectors and the fuel rails are friends. Also, you might have a leak where the fuel pressure regulator hooks up to the return line (passenger side intake manifold, kinda nestled down in the Green Bracket Of Death). Fuel return line goes under the intake manifold.

And, last underhood place for a leak is the fuel line, and fuel return line, there's three rubber hoses: One goes from a hardline to the fuel filter, a second from the filter to another hardline (all three are on the driver side, by the strut tower/intake manifold), and the third is on the 'bottom', opposite the evap line I mentioned earlier.

Good luck finding your leak. I'm guessing it's an injector seal, since that seems to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This is a known issue with a specific fix, and there is a reference thread dedicated to this issue:

>>>>The I smell raw gas from my WRX and its cold outside Thread (TSB inside)<<<<

Fix the problem ASAP.

Searching for "smell" and "cold" brings up the thread.
    Interesting. That link does mention that the 04 model year is affected. I always thought it was 02-03 and that since mine smelled like that it was something I caused. I also would've thought that I would have smelled it in the last 100,000 miles before now!

Sorry for the redundant question then. There's still a possibility i suppose of it being my fault, but when i put my injectors in i was pretty careful and methodical.

Thanks for the info. I'll post back the results of whatever happens.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting. That link does mention that the 04 model year is affected. I always thought it was 02-03 and that since mine smelled like that it was something I caused. I also would've thought that I would have smelled it in the last 100,000 miles before now!

Sorry for the redundant question then. There's still a possibility i suppose of it being my fault, but when i put my injectors in i was pretty careful and methodical.

Thanks for the info. I'll post back the results of whatever happens.
    OK great, I hope it's something simple. Good luck!
    SD
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Found the leak!

Its on the drivers side under the front runner of the intake manifold. One of the fuel rail-rubber hose couplings is leaking. Its not the part or area mentioned in the TSB however, but hopefully this means its easier to fix.

I'll take a picture of it Friday and post it up. Others may have the same problem.

Ok the red arrow is pointing to the fuel line (drivers side) that is the problem. The fuel line is connected to the next segment with a piece of black hose which you can only partly see in this picture. (white arrow). The connection you CANT see is the one that is leaking.

I'm not how to best attack this problem. I might be able to get at it without taking the intake manifold off....it will just require much patience, small cuts, and a little swearing.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a hose coupling? Is it molded into the hose (meaning you need a factory part)? I hope it only takes a little bit of swearing. Good luck!

It's a hose coupling? Is it molded into the hose (meaning you need a factory part)? I hope it only takes a little bit of swearing. Good luck!
    The white arrow in the picture points to a rubber fuel hose that joins two metal fuel lines together. The top part of the hose you can see, and the bottom is hidden behind all that stuff and connects to the metal fuel line that goes into the fuel rail (red arrow). The bottom is where its leaking.

I'm going to see if i can tighten the clamp and stop it from leaking. Otherwise i SHOULD only need a piece of hose and two new clamps to fix it. (and no factory parts thank goodness...i hate going to the dealership).

I Support ClubWRX
    The white arrow in the picture points to a rubber fuel hose that joins two metal fuel lines together. The top part of the hose you can see, and the bottom is hidden behind all that stuff and connects to the metal fuel line that goes into the fuel rail (red arrow). The bottom is where its leaking.

I'm going to see if i can tighten the clamp and stop it from leaking. Otherwise i SHOULD only need a piece of hose and two new clamps to fix it. (and no factory parts thank goodness...i hate going to the dealership).
    Just make sure it's fuel hose, I don't know what pressures are present there.

Just make sure it's fuel hose, I don't know what pressures are present there.
    35-45 PSI. If you have a JDM fuel pressure regulator, and a JDM fuel pump, 35-55 PSI.