Whining sound. need help

This is a discussion on Whining sound. need help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ive been trying to figure this one out for a while. my wrx started making a whining sound about 2 ...

Whining sound. need help

ive been trying to figure this one out for a while. my wrx started making a whining sound about 2 months ago. when parked in nuetral it does not make the sound at any rpm. it only makes the sound when moving. it gets more high pitched the faster the car goes. my friend thinks it sounds like an airplane. and it is not the turbo spooling. its not a whistle, its a whine. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If it makes the sound in a speed-dependent manner even when you are coasting at speed in neutral, take it in to have it put on a lift and examined. My money is on the output shaft bearing for the gearbox but I've lost before. It could even be a wheel bearing or even debris against a backing plate on the brake discs etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 ^...Pinion bearing possibly..How many miles are on the vehicle?

ok i will see if i can get it looked at this week sometime. oh and it has about 61,000 miles on it