Dash Temp Display backlight out---easy fix?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dash Temp Display backlight out---easy fix? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sooo in my 06 WRX wagon the little green backlight that lights up my temperature display on my dash went ...

Dash Temp Display backlight out---easy fix?

Sooo in my 06 WRX wagon the little green backlight that lights up my temperature display on my dash went out.

Easy fix?
    Wow, this car rocks.

I live on the autobahns of Germany

Ravens for life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm assuming your talking about the coolant temp gauge backlight? If so..There are bulbs back there..popping the cluster out isn't that difficult, once its out the bulbs can be accessed...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I'm assuming your talking about the coolant temp gauge backlight? If so..There are bulbs back there..popping the cluster out isn't that difficult, once its out the bulbs can be accessed...
    nooo im actually talking about the outside temperature display--the digital one right below the coolant temp gauge and the gas gauge. But does the same idea with the bulbs behind the cluster apply? The display works, there's just no light, and it's bugging me when I drive at night---I have my green glow on the right showing my odo and mileage, but no green glow on the left.
    Wow, this car rocks.

I live on the autobahns of Germany

Ravens for life.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper06 View Post
    nooo im actually talking about the outside temperature display--the digital one right below the coolant temp gauge and the gas gauge. But does the same idea with the bulbs behind the cluster apply? The display works, there's just no light, and it's bugging me when I drive at night---I have my green glow on the right showing my odo and mileage, but no green glow on the left.
    You will prob still have to pull the cluster to replace the bulb in that..there is a possibility it is a smaller bulb like the ones in the clocks or the cruise control switches on the foresters/legacies etc etc..have you tried tapping on it a tad to see if you can jar it enough to work? I'm going by the most common prob with these, and its usually a burnt out bulb however i suppose you could have a loose/damaged wire somewhere...

Wow, sounds like Subaru still hasn't switched from '$3 parts bin special' quality to 'OEM' quality parts. I mean, seriously, the OEM clock in my 02 has FIRE damage on it. o.O It still worked intermittently too.

Getting a 52mm clock 'gauge' to go in the pod that replaced my OEM clock.

Good luck replacing that bulb.

Oh, on this subject, is it even possible to replace the bulbs that light up the Cruise and Fog Light switches? Not the "on/Off" indicator lights, but the backlight in the switch itself? I have to poke blindly in the dark at night to turn my Fogs/CC on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    Wow, sounds like Subaru still hasn't switched from '$3 parts bin special' quality to 'OEM' quality parts. I mean, seriously, the OEM clock in my 02 has FIRE damage on it. o.O It still worked intermittently too.

Getting a 52mm clock 'gauge' to go in the pod that replaced my OEM clock.

Good luck replacing that bulb.

Oh, on this subject, is it even possible to replace the bulbs that light up the Cruise and Fog Light switches? Not the "on/Off" indicator lights, but the backlight in the switch itself? I have to poke blindly in the dark at night to turn my Fogs/CC on now.
    Yes you can quite easily replace the green backlight bulbs in the cruise/fog light etc...switches...there is usually 2 small bulbs back there in each switch housing..you can usually pick them up at radio shack or the dealer usually has them in stock, there not that expensive...you drop the cover under the steering column, unplug the switches, and the unclip them from the cover and they should pop right out...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Yes you can quite easily replace the green backlight bulbs in the cruise/fog light etc...switches...there is usually 2 small bulbs back there in each switch housing..you can usually pick them up at radio shack or the dealer usually has them in stock, there not that expensive...you drop the cover under the steering column, unplug the switches, and the unclip them from the cover and they should pop right out...
    Gotcha. I had that lower kick panel off to cut my green test connectors off and white write plug off and wire in some switches, and had removed the switches, but didn't want to disassemble them if they were not going to be easy to reassemble.

I'll go ahead and pull them once I get on break and find the bulbs I need, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    Gotcha. I had that lower kick panel off to cut my green test connectors off and white write plug off and wire in some switches, and had removed the switches, but didn't want to disassemble them if they were not going to be easy to reassemble.

I'll go ahead and pull them once I get on break and find the bulbs I need, thanks.
    no prob man..the bulbs usually pop right in the side.. and can easily come out with a pocket screwdriver...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.