Strange problem

This is a discussion on Strange problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey everyone, im new to the subaru scene and i've just begun working on the ej20 in my 04 wrx, ...

Strange problem

hey everyone, im new to the subaru scene and i've just begun working on the ej20 in my 04 wrx, and i've found something weird. there appears to be a screwdriver plugging up a hose under the intercooler. im not sure what the purpose of this is, but im sure its probably not good, and i didnt notice this when i bought the car, and i want to fix this while its still under warranty. any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Lo View Post
    hey everyone, im new to the subaru scene and i've just begun working on the ej20 in my 04 wrx, and i've found something weird. there appears to be a screwdriver plugging up a hose under the intercooler. im not sure what the purpose of this is, but im sure its probably not good, and i didnt notice this when i bought the car, and i want to fix this while its still under warranty. any help would be great.
    Dude.........gonna need pictures. Your post is lacking ALOT of detail and a picture (a good one) is worth 1000 words.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of screwdriver?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    What kind of screwdriver?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

sorry. im new to the forum (obviously) and i didnt think to add pics. currently the site isnt letting add images because it says i dont have enough posts. so...the best way i can describe the location is that the tool come up right next to the blow off valve. the hose is the only rubber one that runs under the intake manifold

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's a Snap On, I'd say you scored big time. Craftsman is ok, and has a lifetime warranty, so that wouldn't be so bad. Any of the cheaper brands/Chinese junk aren't really worth anything so that would suck.

Perhaps you have an aftermarket Blow Off Valve, as you indicated, BOV. If that is the case, there is a hose that runs from the bottom of the BOV, that USED to connect to the stock ByPass Valve. When you install a BOV you need to plug that hose with something, perhaps they used the aforementioned screwdriver to plug that hose?

That is my best guess dude.

well, it looks like the stock bov, but what your saying sounds like the best answer.

well, it looks like the stock bov, but what your saying sounds like the best answer.
    If it is a BOV, it is not stock. Stock is a By Pass Valve.

Whatever you have attached to the front right side of the intercooler, reach underneath it and feel if there is a hose attached to it from underneath.

How large is the hose where the screwdriver is? Where does it go to? What does the "BOV" look like, does your car make a sneezing sound when you shift?

your right, it is a bypass. not a blowoff. my mistake. there is a whoosh sound when i shift. i have to check if the hose is connected to the the bypass.

your right, it is a bypass. not a blowoff. my mistake. there is a whoosh sound when i shift. i have to check if the hose is connected to the the bypass.
    SOunds like maybe the prev owner had a BOV on it, and when he put the stock ByPass Vavle back on he did not reconnect the By pass hose?

Thats my best guess, but like I said you should be able to tell easily by reaching underneath the valve and there should be a short 'neck' on the bottom of the valve that is connected to a hose about the same diameter as a radiator hose. If that is not the case, you need to fix it asap bro.

Good luck.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Dude, did you figure out what was going on with that hose?

ya i did. looks like you were right. i just have to get around to taking off the bypass valve to pull the screwdriver out and reconnect the hose. a friend of mine said people plug the hose and disconnect it from the bypass because they think it increases power, but i'd rather just buy a good bov when i save up the cash for one so im going to fix the stock setup. thanks for the help!

im glad you got the problem fixed man but i just wanted to put my $.02 in on what you just said. Depending on the mods you have done to your car buying a aftermarket BOV may not be the best idea heres a link where you can read all about it man i hope this helps out man good luck"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)