Neutral Safety Switch Question

This is a discussion on Neutral Safety Switch Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How do I remove it? I was under the car today and trying to figure it out because it looks ...

Neutral Safety Switch Question

How do I remove it? I was under the car today and trying to figure it out because it looks like the stock sensor is different than the one I got at AutoZone. Also having a 6 speed on my non-STi, should I have any connectors disconnected? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump?
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold

My 2006 Build

hmmm..Personally I have NEVER found an aftermarket vendor who sells the neutral saftey switch for Subarus..If I where you I would just be going to you dealer parts department..I believe the one for the STI is the same as the one for the WRX and for some reason around $30 sticks in my mind as for the price..There pretty simple to replace..I believe they are a 19mm and they screw right into the side of the transmission on the drivers side.. the connector for the sensor should be on the Passangers side right where the bellhousing meets the engine... Why are you replacing it anyways? How many miles are on the car? trans?

I am replacing it because I keep getting the corresponding CEL for it. I picked one up from my local parts store, but it had to be ordered in. I have the factory service manual but is says to drop the transmission and I was wondering if there was a way to do it without dropping the tranny. 62k BTW.
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold

My 2006 Build

hmmm I am looking at the Service manual now for the STI..It does look like the position switch is near the top of the trans where the case halves meet....Its hard to say without looking at the car.... I'm sure there has to be some trick to getting that sucker out without completely dropping the trans....

That is why I am waiting on some input because I know people have done it out there. Thanks man.
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold

My 2006 Build

The only thing I could think you may be able to do is pull the trans crossmemebers and undo the motor mount nuts and the pitching stopper and jack the engine up just enough to lower the back of the trans a tad..than you might be able to get it..otherwise i have no idea..lol..good luck dude..