Where did my AWD go?

This is a discussion on Where did my AWD go? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2005 WRX and just yesterday i noticed that when in first and second gear with the petal ...

Where did my AWD go?

I have a 2005 WRX and just yesterday i noticed that when in first and second gear with the petal to the metal the front tires just spin and there is no traction "Like a FWD vehicle".

Im not sure how the AWD drive works with the differentials, but is it possible for the rear wheels to just not be getting power anymore?

Im running stage 2 with Cobb AP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your front and rear wheels are both driven directly from the transmission assembly. The only way the rear wheels would stop spinning is if the drive shaft that connects the rear of the tranny to the rear diff was missing. Its not easy to steal without taking your car, and if it were broken, it would be making a god awful racket.

A few things could be going on. I'm stage 2 protuned, and if I launch hard on dry pavement, I'll get smoke from the front tires if its below 80 deg outside. If you have worn, improperly inflated or crappy tires, and its the least bit moist outside, you will spin the front tires regularly.

Usually it happens when someone is running cheap non grippy tires in the front in inclement cold weather.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

clutch maybe

I'm still debating if its the tires spinning or the clutch slipping but it only happens in first and second gear. And only at high RPMs

1st and 2nd when your car is in high RPM's and producing the most torque... Say torque that would do things like spin tires..

A clutch wouldn't cause your front wheels only to spin.. in fact that should show that your clutch is grabbing well...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Get better tires.