oil leak

This is a discussion on oil leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It is the weirdest thing, it looks like my engine oil pan is leaking but i have heard these almost ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

oil leak

It is the weirdest thing, it looks like my engine oil pan is leaking but i have heard these almost never leak on wrx's. So it must be coming from above and dripping down. I noticed a couple days ago and i do have an appointment at superrepair on monday. I t leaked about a quart in 2000 miles, then i filled it up as soon as i noticed it, yes i will buy an oil pressure gauge asap, but it has only trickled out in 2 different times. Its like the leak stopped, then started again very slowly. Any ideas of what this could be?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    In order of cost: a leaking drain plug crush washer, a leaking oil filter gasket, a leaking valve cover, a leaking cam seal, a leaking oil line, something leaking under the front cover, a leaking oil pan (never say never), or a leaking rear main seal. My bet is on the cheaper stuff.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-18-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    even if it was leaking above the oil pan, i can see oil on the back bolts of the oil pan. So it would have to come either from above, or possibly climb up, but would it climb that high up?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Whether it climbs depends on the wind pressures it encounters.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Being on the rear of the engine, I'm inclined to think that it's either a leak from your oil pan gasket, or the rear main seal which is a bit of a ***** since the tranny, clutch, and flywheel have to come out. If it's not too big of a leak, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as oil pressure is staying up and you're staying on top of fluid levels.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 11-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    so what would you assume the problem would be? Im not sure how it could be the leaking drain plug crush washer ora leaking oil filter gasket...but i could see the rest of, i sure just hope it isnt an oil pan gasket or a leaking rear main seal because those aren't cheap.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Being on the rear of the engine, I'm inclined to think that it's either a leak from your oil pan gasket, or the rear main seal which is a bit of a ***** since the tranny, clutch, and flywheel have to come out.

I hope its neither of these because they arent cheap at all
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I have a slight oil leak from from RHS valve cover on my '96 WRX. I have reduced it too almost zero(but not quite) by tightening bolts but dare not tighten further. Is it possible to remove the valve cover to replace the seal without removing the engine?

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

I Support ClubWRX
    OP- Do you see oil ABOVE the oil pan? If you cannot see oil above the oil pan it is the oil pan leaking. 1 quart per 2000 miles is pretty average. Some get 3000 some get 1500. Is it leaving puddles? Is it just oil residue with dirt and grime or is it actual oil that looks like it spilled out of something? My suggestion is to buy a can of brake cleaner, spray it around the oil pan and get all that old gunk and crap off. Check in a few days to see signs of any fresh oil.

Oil pans tend to leak also sometimes if you use synthetic oil, a simple change to petroleum based oil can quickly stop a seep type leak.

you dont have to remove the motor to replace a valve cover gasket.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

How many miles are on the vehicle? In the thousands of Subarus I've worked on I think I have seen maybe 1 rear main seal leak a tiny bit...Usually oil leaks coming down the back of the oil pan are a leaking separator plate, however this issue was mostly cleared up when they replaced the plastic plate with a metal one...If you cant pinpoint it, I would clean everything off very well and add some dye to the oil, pop back under the car in a few days and the leak location should be evident...

LPPTundWRX great news for me. Thanks very much. I'll give it a few days before I try it as the leak is now down to a weep at the worst(no oil gets to ground even after sitting idle for several days(I have a Skyline as well)) and it doesn't look as though it will be much fun. Not much space to work; had to make a special tool to reach one bolt.

Should I replace the spark plug tube gasket(which I assume there is) at the same time, or if it looks to be in good condition just set up with used one? There is no sign of oil from spark plug tube.

I use a fully synthetic oil, United Gold, since I've had the car (3 1/2 years) and the leak was first noticeable as a slight smell under-bonnet about a year later. Nothing on ground until about a nine months ago. Would the oil possibly cause gasket to become harder than mineral oil? I like the oil because of its very high VI, 5-50.

Below is link to info on the car, carjam.co.nz,

Edit: I couldn't post link but car is registration DFA874 and that would give car info at the carjam site(if engine, chassis number etc are relevant and you can be bothered looking.)

Thanks very much for your help I do greatly appreciate it

Cheers
    acementhead

I Support ClubWRX
    i just got mine replaced about a week ago, and it was the rear main seal. The guys at super rupair said it happens fairly often because Subaru started using plastic which melted, so they switched back to metal on the rear mains
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300