bad if the engine oil not sythetic??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on bad if the engine oil not sythetic?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i changed the engine oil yesterday and i didn't expect it would affect the car if i didn't get sythentic ...

bad if the engine oil not sythetic??

i changed the engine oil yesterday and i didn't expect it would affect the car if i didn't get sythentic oil. does it affect the car bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    In your owner's manual the specifications for each fluid are listed. Follow those specifications and the maintenance intervals indicated. If the oil you used meets those specs then the source of its base oil or additive package don't matter.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what car? did it have synthetic in it before? what did you put in it now?
    '04 Aspen White WRX

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by aznbutt3rz View Post
    i changed the engine oil yesterday and i didn't expect it would affect the car if i didn't get sythentic oil. does it affect the car bad?
    Once you go synthetic you're not supposed to go back.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Not true according to any publication on oil I've read.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I prefer not using synthetic oil.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Any particular reason, or strictly preferance?
    =)

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    myth.

every car iv had i have ran different types of oils. and iv went from dino oil to synthetic and back to dino and its never hurt anything.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Me too, but that's just because I'm cheap

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfit View Post
    Any particular reason, or strictly preferance?
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone Labs
    What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.
    And problems tend to happen when I do use synth.

I Support ClubWRX
    I switched to syn at 10k, started getting oil use. I also got a little seepage on righthand cam cover. After 30k I switched back to dino. Now I have 133k on engine and it is hardly ever low. I do change oil within 3500 mile each time. Staying with Dino.
    Last edited by Bahamabob; 11-18-2009 at 05:46 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have used regular old dino based oil for just about 200,000 miles. Keep it fresh, and you'll be fine. Also, if I remember correctly, SD_GR is an oil guru..so whatever advice he offers, I would take.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Synthetic is normally thinner than dino, hence if the engine is worn more oil will find its way past rings and seals, giving the illusion that the synthetic oil caused the leaks. If your engine is well maintained and in good condition switching back and forth is no deal. Synthetic oils hold up better to prolonged heat, and flow better at low temperatures. If you drive in such a manner or conditions that these are frequent factors, then consider the synthetic oil

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by minato View Post
    Synthetic is normally thinner than dino, hence if the engine is worn more oil will find its way past rings and seals, giving the illusion that the synthetic oil caused the leaks.
    Any two fluids of the same viscosity will, well, have the same viscosity regardless of their source or even composition. Whether an oil is synthetic or not does not make it thinner than another oil.

If your engine is well maintained and in good condition switching back and forth is no deal.
    I tend to agree here. The issue is the detergent packages and how good a solvent each oil is. If the old oil coked up crud and that formed a pseudo-fix at the point of a seal or gasket failure, and the new oil dissolves the crud exposing the existing failure, then a leak will develop.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a reason synthetic oil has a higher flashpoint than dino oil. Its all in the MSDS sheets. For turbo application I would absolutely use synthetic over dino due to much higher combustion chamber temps and possible turbo coking issues. Plus the fact that most group IV synthetic can easy handle 7,500-10K oil change intervals.
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-19-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast