bad if the engine oil not sythetic?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on bad if the engine oil not sythetic?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Welcome all you want to know about oil and more....

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome all you want to know about oil and more.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Welcome all you want to know about oil and more.
    Hey ... I'm registered there. Haven't logged on in a while.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba2708 View Post
    i dont really like that considering all oil gets dirty just as quick whether its $20 per quart godness or $1.50 per gallon generic vegetable oil. dirt and the leftovers of combustion are the main reasons for changing oil. personally i use castrol edge and change it every 4000
    My wifes 01 Honda Civic recommends synthetic 5W20 with an OIC of 10k with a filter swap at 5k. It's also not just about getting dirty,it's about the oil breaking down/shearing and the additive package failing. Also a quality filter helps as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    My wifes 01 Honda Civic recommends synthetic 5W20 with an OIC of 10k with a filter swap at 5k. It's also not just about getting dirty,it's about the oil breaking down/shearing and the additive package failing. Also a quality filter helps as well.
    A 5W-20 will, unless I'm mistaken, be at least a semi-synth due to the viscosity range -- at least that was the market when I started shopping for them in 2007. My wife's Honda Pilot has a maintenance minder and also uses 5W-20; it asks for oil changes usually every 7,000 miles or so and filter changes every other oil change, meaning around 14,000 miles.

Long intervals that are still safe are IMO a good thing. It's progress. It's smart. Contrast with Subaru, who started off OK at 7,500 mile intervals, then made a mess of people's motors with their little screens etc., and issued that TSB saying "turbo cars go to 3750 mile intervals." Disgusting. Bah!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123