bad if the engine oil not sythetic?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on bad if the engine oil not sythetic?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Donkey Plus the fact that most group IV synthetic can easy handle 7,500-10K oil change intervals. i ...

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Plus the fact that most group IV synthetic can easy handle 7,500-10K oil change intervals.
    i dont really like that considering all oil gets dirty just as quick whether its $20 per quart godness or $1.50 per gallon generic vegetable oil. dirt and the leftovers of combustion are the main reasons for changing oil. personally i use castrol edge and change it every 4000
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba2708 View Post
    i dont really like that considering all oil gets dirty just as quick whether its $20 per quart godness or $1.50 per gallon generic vegetable oil. dirt and the leftovers of combustion are the main reasons for changing oil. personally i use castrol edge and change it every 4000
    It's not a matter of like or dislike though. It's a matter of data. If an oil, any oil, still has adequate TBN and the detectable wear metals are low plus the free insoluble contaminants present are also low, both the oil and the filter are by definition suitable for continued use.

I have used oil analysis data indicating my choice of oil could easily exceed 8,000 miles in my motor under my conditions of typical use.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    So long as you follow the manufacturer's requirements for oil, synth vs. dino is purely user preference.

Just remember to properly judge you interval. Very few drivers in the US qualify for the "Standard" oil change interval. I'd recommend using the "Severe Use" interval.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I prefer not using synthetic oil.
    +1 It burns to fast for my liking and the shop that build the engine said don't use synthetic. Tehy havn't steered me wrong yet...
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

I support oil threads. Just this morning I pondered my reoccurring fear; "What if the previous owner of my car used synthetic, and then I used the regular stuff, good god what if it's killing my whip!" Then I see another oil thread and it makes everything better.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Synthetic flows at cold temperatures better than dino oil.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Synthetic flows at cold temperatures better than dino oil.
    Flow at colder temps has much more to do with the fluid's viscosity at that temp then whether is it synthetic or not.

Now, you can purchase a 0W synthetic where I've only ever seen a 5W oil available in dino oil form. The 0W synth will flow better than the 5W dino, but again that is a function of the viscosity at the low temps rather than fact the oil is made from a synthetic base oil.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    My lawnmower demonstrates the difference. It will not start below 50 degrees or so with dino oil; with synthetic it will start fairly easily at temps well below that.

The owner's manual for my snow thrower recommends synthetic below 32 degrees.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-19-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Does it run a straight weight oil?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Does it run a straight weight oil?
    No. 5w-30 or 10w-30 are suggested for both the mower and thrower. I compared using 5w-30.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    That's interesting.

Another synth-dyno tidbit: My lawnmower uses a Briggs & Stratton motor, and they recommend synthetic oil for the motor, saying that if synthetic is not used then oil consumption will increase. This is the opposite of what many users here report in their car motors.

(I tend to use whatever in the mower if it's new oil and I'm not against using the old M1 5W-40 Turbodiesel/Truck synth straight out of my WRX if I'm in the mood to change the oil in both the car and the mower).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Another synth-dyno tidbit: My lawnmower uses a Briggs & Stratton motor, and they recommend synthetic oil for the motor, saying that if synthetic is not used then oil consumption will increase. This is the opposite of what many users here report in their car motors.
    Briggs & Stratton on the snow thrower.

Here is an extreme cold pour test - similar to an old TV commercial Mobil 1 used to run: YouTube - Mobil 1 TV Ep 1: Maximizing Cold Weather Engine Protection
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-19-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    No. 5w-30 or 10w-30 are suggested for both the mower and thrower. I compared using 5w-30.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's interesting.
    Agreed. That doesn't make much sense from what I know about oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    This time of year I use the mower to help with leaf and yard cleanup. Several years ago when the mower was new it would not start at around 50. What gives? It was a one pull starter in warmer weather.

I remembered the old Mobil 1 commercial. Figured I would give it a try in the Tecumseh powered Craftsman. Sure enough it started fairly easily, even down into the 30's. That sold me on the claim that synthetic flows better when cold.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

And problems tend to happen when I do use synth.
    Yeah, ive read that on their website before. Ordered a test kit, going to do it next oil change ~ 1000 mi.
    =)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.